Jasmine A Glenn
Jasmine A Glenn
Copy Editor

Jasmine A. Glenn is a Junior at Athens Drive Magnet High School. Glenn loves animals and would do anything for an animal in need. A few of her favorite things are sunsets, her car, music, sports cars,...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Crystal McCabe
Crystal McCabe
Staff writer

Crystal McCabe is a senior at Athens Drive High School. She is one of the Idea hunters for Athens Oracle, and in her free time, she enjoys exploring new cuisines, hanging out with her friend Nae McLean,...

Vet Assisting: A new class at Athens

For all of the animal lovers in the school, there is a new class called Veterinary Assisting. Veterinary Assisting is a part of the Animal Science curriculum. Students will take what they have learned in the Animal Science I and II classes and put the knowledge into what is it like to help a veterinarian.

“Students must take Agriscience Applications, Animal Science I (prereq Agriscience) and Animal Science II Honors (prereq Animal Science I),” Savannah Currens, Animal Science and Agriculture Science teacher.

In the class, students will take what they have learned in previous classes and expand their knowledge on different types of animals by learning what it takes to become a veterinarian physician or a veterinarian assistant, since they are two different work skills in the veterinary industry.

A veterinarian assistant is a worker that assists the veterinary physician in their duties. A veterinary physician is  a professional who practices veterinary medicine by treating diseases, disorders or an injury in animals. They also perform surgeries on animals.

“Students will apply concepts they’ve learned in Animal Science One and Two about breeds, behavior, nutrition and care practices in a very hands on learning environment,” said Currens.

Students will learn the differences between veterinary physician and a veterinary assistant. They will also learn what veterinarians take to get where they are, and what the daily life of a veterinarian looks like. Students will also learn the different techniques to help vets.

Currens will be teaching the class next school year. Many people have joined the class, and Currens has said that she would love more people to take the class.

“It is a fun class. I also think it is very important to expose students to some of the daily

activities they can expect while working in the animal care industry,” said Currens.

In the class, students will be working with animals such as a snakes, guinea pigs, bearded dragons, turtles, goats and chickens. Students will also be doing daily activities, projects, having speakers come from different animal industries and talk to the students about what they do, and working with other students in class. By having more interaction with the animals, students have more knowledge and a closer understanding of the animals.