Athens Drive Swim Team plans to reform

Last year in the 2017-2018 season, the Athens Drive men’s varsity swim team tied for third place at the North Carolina State Championships. The team is coached by Shane Barry, and Barry has been the head coach for the last four years. The first team practice was on October 31 and they have four swim meets this year. This year they look to improve their placement from last years.

Shane Barry has been the head coach for four years and also swam in high school. He has also been a part of the swim team every year he has taught at Athens Drive.

With close to 55 swimmers every year, swimming is one of the more popular sports at Athens, and it makes sense as according to the 2010 U.S. census. The Census reported swimming ranked number three in popularity of sports activities and is the fourth most popular sport in the U.S. Many parents teach their kids how to swim at a very young age, so it makes sense that swimming is very popular.

“I learned to swim when I was four years old, when I joined my neighborhood swim team,” said William Shearin, sophomore.

The men’s swim team this year is trying to rebuild this year as some key members of team departed for college.  For the women’s swim team, they are trying to improve their finishes from regionals. They practice daily at the Triangle Aquatic Center from 3-4 p.m.

Last year the men’s team tied for third in the State Championship with Myers Park High School with a score of 141, topping 35 other teams, only being bested by Green Hope High School and South Mecklenburg High School.

Before swim meets they have a pre-meet dinner and practice routine which consists of going through what they are going to do in the meet, and a trial run of the meet.

Many swimmers also swim for other teams over the summer to improve, such as the Lochmere Monsters or year round teams such as the Marlins of Raleigh.

“I do summer swim and other sports like volleyball and stunt to keep me in shape. In between seasons I go to the pool and do laps to keep my times down,” said Rebecca Elliott, sophomore.

Most members on the swim team like multiple things about swimming and swim meets, such as hanging out with friends, the competitions, and the feeling of winning. Even if they lose they still enjoy meets, because they like being cheered on by their friends and cheering them back.

“Swim meets are the best, I love being with my friends, cheering them on and knowing that while I swim they’ll be cheering me on too,” said Shearin.