Danazia McLean, also known as Nae, is a senior at Athens Drive High School and a member of the Idea Hunters of Athens Oracle. In her free time, she enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with her friend...

Jasmine A Glenn
Jasmine A Glenn
Copy Editor

Jasmine A. Glenn is a Junior at Athens Drive Magnet High School. Glenn loves animals and would do anything for an animal in need. A few of her favorite things are sunsets, her car, music, sports cars,...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Local teens and adults prepare for remake of Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas

The Grinch, a remake based on the holiday classic by Dr. Seuss, premiered in movie theaters Nov. 9. The new movie directed by Yarrow Cheney and Scott Mosier stars Pharrell Williams as the narrator, as well as Benedict Cumberbatch playing the Grinch and Angela Lansbury as the mayor of Whoville.

“I remember the first one coming out and I was seven so the grinch scared me at first,” said Chelsea Wetherby, science teacher, “but honestly as I grow up he is one of the most relatable movie characters.”

The movie tells the story of The Grinch who attempts to “steal Christmas,” but meets a joyful young girl that changes his mind. According to boxofficemojo.com, the movie, which was released around the same time of year, (Nov. 17, 2000) grossed over 260 million dollars throughout the United States.

“I’m super excited for the new movie to come out. I’m really happy because the old [movie] is outdated today. I love Dr. Seuss,” said Julia Connor, sophomore.

The new film is bringing out old memories from people of all ages. Many teens grew up watching it during their holiday break, and are now making plans to go see the new film in theaters. The Grinch made 67 million dollars opening weekend. Click here for more fun holiday traditions. 

“I may see the new one. I think it’s a little odd to recreate an already great movie,” said Wetherby.