Athens Drive hires new volleyball coach

Athens+Drive+volleyball+team+poses+for+a+team+picture.+
Photos by Coach Andie Faircloth
Athens Drive volleyball team poses for a team picture.

Athens Drive High School varsity volleyball recently hired a new head coach, Conner Bayer. A world history and lessons of Vietnam teacher, he is also a junior varsity baseball coach. Bayer has a somewhat unusual history with volleyball, both of his parents were very strong players which encouraged him to play pickup games in high school. In college he played in adult leagues and for club teams at East Stroudsburg University in Pennsylvania.

“I love coaching at Athens.  I have a great support system around me from the Athletic Director, to my assistant coach, as well as from administration, teachers, and other coaches in the athletic department,” said Bayer.

This fall season the players have especially looked up to Bayer as an inspiration and a leader. In the past 2017 fall season a different coach had lead the team to an overall of 8-14. In the 2016 season the same coach lead the team to an overall of 4-17.  

“We are excited to have coach Bayer as our new coach, so far he has really helped us improve and we hope with his guidance to do better this season than in past seasons,” said Sydney McCoy, captain of the volleyball team, senior.  

By the end of the season Bayer will have lead the team of 11 girls through 22 games. The season started off with games against out of conference competitors such as Southern Lee High School and South Garner High School. The end of the season will wrap up with all in conference games against the other five High Schools in the 4A Triangle 6 conference.  

“My hopes for this season is to finish top-3 in the conference.  We got off to a slow start in non-conference play, but I’m hoping our victory over Knightdale (9/10) will give us a spark and some momentum moving into conference play,” said Bayer.

The 4A Triangle 6 high school athletic conference consists of Green Hope, Panther Creek, Cary, Riverside-Durham, and Jordan.

“Teamwork is how you win games.  Working as a team comes with time and experience together on the court both in games and at practice.  As a fairly young varsity team, I’ve continued to notice with each passing game and practice that we are trending in the right direction.  We’re beginning to build up a chemistry as a unit which is exactly what a Varsity coach needs out of the players on the team. I think the girls have done a great job and will continue to grow the more they play together.  I am excited to see what this group can do throughout the remainder of the season and into the future,” said Coach Bayer.