James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Rowan Bissett
Rowan Bissett
Assistant Sports Editor

Rowan is a Sophomore at Athens, and when she is not writing for the Oracle, she's playing volleyball, volunteering, or being apart of Athens clubs. She's excited to be in her second semester of the Oracle...

Sierra Moore
Sierra Moore

Sierra Moore is a junior at Athens Drive. This is Sierra's first year on the Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with her friends. In her free time she also enjoy drawing and listening to music.

Nike and Colin Kaepernick team up in a new advert that raises controversy

Athletic clothing and shoe brand Nike re-sparked a heated debate across the country when they put former NFL quarterback and current free agent Colin Kaepernick in their 30th anniversary “Just do it.” campaign.

The former 49ers quarterback started national anthem protests in the 2016 preseason of the NFL. Most noticed this when the NFL media asked about it.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” said Kaepernick.

He added on to this further in the coming months saying it was also about police brutality.        The controversial ad resulted in many people including a number of veterans said that Nike was there favorite brand but swearing to never buy it after the ad took place.

Some even took it a step further.

“Our Sound-man just cut the Nike swoosh off his socks. Former marine. Get ready @Nike multiply that by the millions,” said John Rich, country singer.

Rich’s sound-man was one of many people who started their “#Boycott-Nike movement,” from cutting the Nike swoosh from there socks to taping the logo, to even burning them. Many have showed their outrage through these action on their Nike products. Numerous people have weighed in on this topic from President Trump to high school students and staff.

“I think Nike is purely money motivated because a huge company they don’t care about what is going on other than the money they are taking in. Everything in big business is all about money not anything else,” said Jack Gelsinger, senior.

“I think there are certain people in Nike that stand for him but as a whole. I think it’s more for going after a target market,” said Ross Kennel science teacher.

“Waste of time and money that could have been used towards the needy,” said Matthew Randolph, former Athens wide receiver.