With graduation around the corner, senioritis kicks in

Graduation is around the corner and for some students that day cannot come any faster. Merriam-Webster defines senioritis as “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades.” With the last days of school approaching, many seniors have started to decline in their academic performance.

Some ask “How do you know if you have senioritis?” Well there are many symptoms. Some of the most prevalent symptoms are skipping classes, being tardy, failing to study hard for tests or to write coherent papers, disinterest in school-related academics/activities and laziness. However, the intenseness of senioritis varies from student to student.

“Sometimes I get to school and can’t even bring myself into class, so I sit in my car and other days I bring my pillow so I can sleep. And sometimes I just don’t go at all and that’s why I have 14 wait no, 15 absences in first period,” said Madelyn Martin, senior.

For some seniors, skipping class and getting lower grades is not an option. Seniors who want exemptions are only allowed to miss a certain amount of days based on the grade they have in the class. If a student has a C they are only allowed one excused absence, if they have a B they are allowed two excused absences and if they have an A they are allowed three excused absences. However, this varies from teacher to teacher.

“I am able to stay motivated because I know my hard work will pay off by not having to take exams,” said Mary Grace Bunch, senior.

There are many fun activities for seniors to look forward to toward the end of the year. These activities consist of senior breakfast, prom, senior awards ceremony, senior picnic and graduation. The senior events help keep students motivated to keep going strong even at the end of the year.

Colleges and universities have the right to take away an acceptance under any circumstance so it is crucial that seniors maintain their academic excellence in the last days of high school. Although this is the last stretch, there is always a great day for teaching and learning.