Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Crystal McCabe
Crystal McCabe
Staff writer

Crystal McCabe is a senior at Athens Drive High School. She is one of the Idea hunters for Athens Oracle, and in her free time, she enjoys exploring new cuisines, hanging out with her friend Nae McLean,...

The Dark Truth behind the Chocolate consumed on Valentine’s Day

Fundraising season is at an all time high at Athens Drive, which means, coupled with the fast approaching Valentine’s day, that it’s also chocolate season. It isn’t uncommon to see a student  walking down the hallway lugging a blue box of “World’s Finest Chocolate,” or buying a candy gram. These can be fun ways to celebrate the holiday, but they may also have a sinister origin.

Many companies we know and love, such as Hershey’s and our own “World’s Finest” have been repeatedly investigated for instances of child labor and human trafficking on their outsourced chocolate plantations in Africa and South America. Many of these children are promised paying jobs or safety form poverty and violence,  but are only rewarded with harsh conditions, abuse, and little to no pay.

According to the food empowerment project, the average income level of a cocoa farmer is $2 a day, below the poverty line. The use of child labor by these farmers is often an attempt to keep prices low and competitive with other, similar providers. It is estimated that the children who work on chocolate plantations are most commonly between the ages of 12 and 16 and are often either abducted or sold into child slavery by relatives who are desperate or unaware of the serious conditions. It is estimated that roughly 1.8 million children are working as slaves in the Ivory Coast and Ghana.

Despite the $60 billion dollars coursing through the chocolate industry, candy executives fail time and time again to properly ensure that no child labor is being harnessed to harvest cocoa beans or pods. Many chocolate companies deny all knowledge of the use of child labor, but fail to go the extra mile to prevent it. Calls are made for cocoa companies to provide rehabilitation services for survivors of child slavery as well as provide workers with a living wage, but as of today, no measures have been taken.

While we may benefit from the fundraising chocolate brings us, the knowledge that a child may have suffered and even died for a dollar spent on candy, is much more important than money for a club that can be raised by other means. So, next time you reach for a Hershey bar, try something more ethical, or “fair-trade,”