Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

Chorus students uphold Singing Valentines tradition

Valentine’s day at Athens brings the annual Singing Valentines performed by the school chorus to classes Feb. 14. Singing Valentines, along with the option of roses, chocolates and adding an additional song, were all purchased for five dollars by students in the gym lobby from Feb. 8 through Feb. 13. This tradition spreads a loving atmosphere around the drive year after year.
The proceeds from the profits made from Singing Valentines all go to the school choral department.
The chorus students were divided up into groups and prepared songs for the event and began preparing at the end of the first semester in late December. Some songs included “l.o.v.e.” by Nat King Cole, “How Deep is Your Love” by Calvin Harris & Disciples and “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers.
Students purchased singing valentines for friends, teachers, significant others or anyone of their choice. The buyer then gets to fill out a card for the recipient to get when they receive their singing valentine in their first, second or third period. The buyer can also choose to leave the card message anonymous.
“My favorite part about singing valentines is being able to send them to my friends so I can both embarrass them and send them my love,” said Hannah Baldwin, senior.
Many chorus students look forward to this event each year as they get to enjoy Valentine’s day alongside their friends singing to students and teachers of the school.
“Yes, it’s like our favorite time of year, besides Christmas of course,” said Averi Zimmerman, senior and chorus student.
The chorus students are to make song arrangements and create harmonies which can be challenging but also fun. Many students are pleasantly surprised by the talent of the school.
“My favorite part is it takes time from class… but also it’s nice to hear some talents, people you wouldn’t think could sing and they have such beautiful voices,” said Maryan Aden, senior.
Some teachers greatly enjoy singing valentines, while some do not.
“I know the students like them and I’m sure there are times that teachers get frustrated because we may be interrupting a discussion, but it’s Valentines day, live a little,” said Zimmerman.