Standardized tests show their affect on teachers and students

Are Standardized Tests Negatively Affecting Teachers and Students?

The school system denied letting Laela Gray go into the next grade because she was one point off of the grade average for the reading standardized test. According to FairTest, Gray was in third grade when she got a 181 on her reading test instead of a 182. Even though she had an amazing overall academic record, it was not enough to convince the Orlando School Board to pass her. After tutoring, she retook the exam and her grade greatly increased four weeks after school had started.

Standardized testing has been in use since the 1800s. The tests were more heavily used after the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) was created. This mandated annual testing in all 50 states. After NCLB was made, math testing scores were negatively affected. U.S. students went from being 18th in the world in 2000, to being 27 in 2012. Science was similarly affected, but reading remained the same.

According to an annual 100 year analysis of testing, 93 percent of studies on student testing found a positive effect on student achievement. On the other hand, the National Research Council found no evidence that standardized tests are working. Many think teachers have started “teaching to the test” and that standardized tests add pressure to teachers. Some say “teaching to the test” is positive because it focuses on essential content instead of wasting time.

Standardized tests are able to hold teachers and schools accountable. Teachers are responsible for teaching what students will need to know for the test. Test scores become public record and can cause severe consequences for schools and teachers who do not perform well. Standardized testing puts a significant amount of stress on students and teachers. This stress can negatively affect their mental health and their feelings towards the school and learning.

“Now, there’s not so much [pressure] here because Mr. Mares is a fabulous principal and he gives us the ability to be confident in what we’re doing and that we’re making a difference in students everyday,” said Chelsea Wetherby, biology teacher.

Standardized testing lets parents know how their child is doing compared to the county, state or country. This can help identify problems in each student, and also includes schools and curriculums. Some disagree, saying the tests only evaluate a student’s performance on one specific day and does not take in multiple factors. Some people do not do well on tests in general, this can be caused by reasons such as anxiety. Many students understand the material but it does not reflect on the test.

“I feel like some people aren’t good test takers, but they’re actually quite intelligent.” said Natalie Ndiforamang, freshman.

According to Grade Power Learning, standardized testing limits learning. They only measure specific areas and do not let students use skills needed for success. These skills include creativity, motivation, and cooperation.

Why standardized testing should and should not be a part of application process

When applying to colleges, there are multiple factors that contribute to getting into the co

llege of a student’s choice; such as their grade point average (GPA), American College Testing (ACT) and Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) scores, activities, recommendations as well as essays. Some colleges even strictly look at GPA and test scores. If these do not meet the minimum requirements of the school the student is applying to, the chance of getting into that school is not as high.

Studies undertaken by the College Board, generally indicate that the SAT adds only modestly to the prediction of student success after high school GPA is taken into account. By eliminating standardized tests as a required element of applications, it would possibly increase the number of highly qualified applicants to colleges, increase the quality of the enrolled freshman class and increase the diversity of the schools. However, some believe that test scores are vital in narrowing down students for admission.

“Colleges are trying really hard to differentiate between people that have very similar backgrounds in terms of GPA, volunteer experience, clubs and political offices, they need those tests in order to sort you out into different subcategories so they can figure out who they want to admit into their universities,” said Grady Elrod, SAT prep teacher.

By looking at what students have done in high school such as participating in clubs, sports and volunteering it creates a variety of different applicants making it difficult to differentiate between them. Colleges may see how much work and effort the student has put forth in their previous years, however, they need a better way to narrow down the students.

The SAT or ACT may indicate what a student has learned over the years but for some – this is not the case. Some students are just not as good at standardized test taking, these students may have a perfect GPA, a perfect record and be involved in numerous activities, but cannot reflect their full capability because they are not good attaking a test.

“Standardized testing does not teach you anything while you are taking it, most tests should also be a learning experience,” said Elrod.

According to College Board, students who are inadequate test takers and an SAT or ACT is required for the college or university they would like to apply to, they should make themselves stand out. Maintaining a decent GPA, joining clubs and sports or volunteering in the community will help one become noticed.

Standardized test scores for some applicants conceal more than they reveal. When the requirement of submitting test scores deters some potentially strong students from even applying or being rejected from a college, then it is time to take a fresh look on what is really important when applying to schools.