Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

Farah Al-Rbehat
Farah Al-Rbehat

Farah Al-Rbehat is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year as an Assistant Editor on the Athens Oracle. She enjoys reading, spending time with the people she loves, and participates in many...

Sierra Moore
Sierra Moore

Sierra Moore is a junior at Athens Drive. This is Sierra's first year on the Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with her friends. In her free time she also enjoy drawing and listening to music.

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Sportsmanship in our spring sports

Athens Drive Magnet High School spring sports are underway. Teams like lacrosse, track and field, women’s soccer, stunt, baseball, softball, men’s golf and tennis have started tryouts and games. All teams are preparing new athletes to compete on the varsity and junior varsity level.

Some sports like track begin with practices and require no tryout. The coaches want to start with the athletes and work with them from the ground up.

“Mental preparation is underrated. I think if the athletes are prepared mentally and have a focus coming into a game, then the physical aspects of the game will fall into place. Also, doing the little things right goes an extremely long way,” said Connor Bayer, coach of junior varsity baseball.

Many Athens Drive students who try out for spring sports are freshmen. Team captains are picked to help freshmen and incoming players.

“Usually when people need help or advice on something, I try to stay open, positive and give the best answer. Also, I want to encourage the new underclassmen that mistakes will be made but you get out what you put in.” said Nia Judkins, senior, captain of the track and field team.

This spring, Athens Drive started a program to promote sportsmanship and character on and off the field. Posters with student athletes have quotes about sportsmanship placed around the school. Students were chosen based off of a combination of athletic accomplishments and exceptional character.

“I was happy to present sportsmanship. That is something that is very important to me,” said Mary Grace Bunch, captain of the women’s soccer team.

This campaign ties together with the spring sports. Athens Drive athletics encourages everyone, students and teachers, to come out to the games and support our athletes.