2018 Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang, South Korea – sports or political confrontation ?

The Winter Olympics gathers people from all around the world. The 2018 edition started Feb. 9 and ended on Feb. 25. A total of 2,952 athletes from 92 different nations met in PyeongChang, South Korea.

The Winter Olympics officially started with the traditional opening ceremony. Despite the very low temperatures (27 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill below 16 degrees), 35,000 people came and saw the event. The ceremony started with a show entitled “Peace in Motion.” The peace theme was emphasized through the story of five children that travel through time to the past and future, learning about South Korea’s history and culture and continued after the show with the athletes marching into the PyeongChang Olympic stadium. Indeed, the South and North Korean teams marched together for the first time behind the “unification flag.”

“I think it’s a good thing that North Korea was able to participate to the Olympic Games. Nevertheless, I don’t think that it means that the tensions with South Korea are resolved but I think it could be a stepping stone,” said Conner Bayer, social studies teacher.

Korea has been divided since the end of World War II in 1945. In fact, in the aftermath of the World War II, United States and the Soviet Union decided to share Korea. The North was under Soviet occupation and the South under American occupation. Tensions erupted with the Korean War in 1950 and have remained. This Olympic truce is seen by some people as provisional and fragile.

“I am so surprised that North Korea and South Korea have decided to unite as one Korea for the games because there has been so much tension between them. But maybe it was so North Korea wouldn’t bomb the place,” said Sigrid Solheim, norwegian exchange student.

Due to the tensions between the North and the South, some concerns were raised over the security of the 2018 Winter Olympics. Several countries, including France, Austria and Germany, threatened to skip the games if the safety of its delegation could not be guaranteed. This truce might have been a way to ensure security and to reassure the countries participating in the games. However, the presence of the North Korean delegation bothers. Thereby, United States invited Otto Warmbier’s father to the ceremony, a young American who died after being imprisoned in North Korea.

Moreover, for the first time, the IOC,  International Olympic Committee, decided that as a result of doping scandals, to suspend the Russian Olympic Committee. Some athletes, who had never been involved in any drug violations and who have a consistent history of drug testings, were allowed to compete as an “Olympic Athlete from Russia.” Neither the Russian’s flag nor their anthem were present. Some Russian politicians called for a boycott, accusing the United States to be at the origin of this decision.

“How they fear us. Sorry guys. We weren’t able to protect you,” tweeted Irina Rodrina, three-time Olympic medalist and State Duma deputy.

Besides the sporting aspect, the 2018 Winter Olympics will remain as one of the most politically controversial  games in history.