Athens Drive band takes on the Outback Bowl

Photos by Hollyn Quiller
The Athens Drive marching band marches across the field and the Homecoming game, October 6, 2017.

The Athens Drive Magnet High School Marching Band went to the 2018 Outback Bowl held in Tampa, Florida for the 2017-2018 school year  They left on December 28 and arrived back at school January 2.

“It’s quite an achievement for band just putting it all together,” said Dr. Jerry Markoch, Band Director.

The marching band applied in the fall of 2016 by sending DVDs of their performances. The DVDs showed the quality of their shows and the amount of students that participate in it. They received an answer back within two months of it having been sent. The combined cost for the trip was 250,000 dollars. Throughout the school year they held fundraisers to help cover as many costs as they possibly could to save money for students and their families. Some students we eligible for scholarship money so that they could be part of the performance because they needed every member of the band to be there.The marching band got a semi trailer that went with them to Tampa to assist them with holding anything that cannot be taken on the bus, including instruments.

Every Tuesday after school the students in band gathered together to rehearse the songs they would be performing. This football season, the theme of their field show was Adventure Awaits. They spent these days practicing the performance and fixing anything that may have needed improvement.

The marching band was chosen  to compete in the pre-game show at the Outback Bowl after winning the the pre-game competitions. They were the Grand Champions of the parade and marching. The band placed first in parade class and marching show. The Athens Drive marching band  performed their field show at the Outback Bowl for pregame, and performed during halftime with around 15 other high school bands. They learned music that all of the bands performed as a group at the end. They are hoping this will lead them into the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, California.This parade is presented by Honda and is held every year January 1 or January 2 if New Year’s is on a Sunday.

“It was really exiting” said Williamson. “It was kinda different too because usually I’m more nervous, but then I was really just exited because it was the end of the season and everything was coming to a close.”

“I thought it was incredible,” said Tyrone Williamson, junior. “The most significant part was when we were walking off and relishing that we were in an NFL pro stadium and we go to perform”