Significance of the free expression tunnel

The Free Expression Tunnel first opened in 1939 as a pedestrian tunnel under the railroad tracks connecting North Campus to Central Campus. In the 1960’s, North Carolina State University promoted it as a place for students to place graffiti however they please.

Within the tunnel, the use of graffiti is allowed and encouraged and students are given a free hand to say whatever they like. The Free Expression Tunnel gives students a venue for expressing their thoughts and feelings about anything from “Happy Birthday” to announcing club and organization meetings. The tunnel never looks the same, as it is painted daily by various student and clubs and groups. Incoming freshmen look forward to the tunnel as they are taken on a campus tour.

“The Free Expression tunnel is a great way for any student to voice their concerns, their opinions, or simply display their artistic ability. It give people the opportunity to feel heard, and is a trademark of NCSU,” said Joshua Cooper, senior.

Giving students free expression is a basic right and it is amazing to give them the option in such a creative way. Some people can not always express the way they feel through words, so art is a major key in helping bring the thoughts out. Often cans of spray paint are left near the entrance of the tunnel for visitors to paint something small or big, whether you attend the University or not.

“The Tunnel was a sign of news that could brighten your day, even if you weren’t acquainted with the intended recipient of the spray painted messages,” said Jennifer Smith, junior at North Carolina State University.