Student Athlete of the Month

Ben+Wakeford+playing+at+a+tournament.+
Photos by Will Wakeford
Ben Wakeford playing at a tournament.

This December, Athens Drive Magnet High School student and lacrosse player Ben Wakeford, junior, was selected as the Athens Oracle student athlete of the month. Due to his outstanding grades and excellent performance on the field, Wakeford rose above the rest. Wakeford is currently taking mostly AP classes and keeps busy with performing in the Wind Ensemble as a percussion player and working a part time job.

“Ben is an extremely hard worker. Like many of the lacrosse players at Athens, he picked up the game as a freshman. It takes a good deal of practice with the stick to become proficient, and Ben has put in the time needed to become a very good player. Ben is also involved in a significant number of other activities. He plays in the band, did winter percussion, works a part time job, does well in the classroom, and still finds time to practice for lacrosse,” said Tom Wetherby, lacrosse coach.  

As an athlete Wakeford is a strong lacrosse player and always looking to improve and make his team stronger. Wakeford always has a positive attitude towards his sport and is always trying to inspire others.

“I was surprised to be elected student athlete of the month. I’m honored to represent the Athens Drive lacrosse team in this manner. Head Lacrosse Coach Tom Wetherby consistently emphasizes academic rigor and its importance and I’m proud to be recognized for it,” said Wakeford.