Paulette Hicks and Jennifer Hulsey receive the Employee Excellence Award

Two Athens Drive teachers are celebrated for their teaching skills

Two Athens Drive teachers, Paulette Hicks and Jennifer Hulsey, received the WCPSS Employee Excellence Award Nov. 21. The twelve winners of the award were presented in front of the Wake County School Board and the Superintendent, Dr. James Merrill.

The award is given out annually to recognize educators who go above and beyond the call of duty in every aspect of teaching.

Hulsey, the Health Science Coordinator, assists students and teachers in multiple places. Not only does she aid students in finding educational opportunities outside of school, but she helps to create lessons and collaborates with all departments. Hulsey was also recognized for being admitted to the One Health Commission BRET (Bat Rabies Educational Team) division. One Health Commission is a collaboration of people of different health professions working together to help research disease. The BRET is dedicated to educating students, parents and teachers alike about rabies that is specifically spread by bats.

Hicks has been the director of Athens Drive Child Development Center for nearly forty years. She is the last “Silver Jag,” a teacher who has been at Athens since the opening of the school in 1978 that is still currently teaching. She has taught teachers at Athens Drive when they were children, and the children of Athens Drive alumni as well. Though the number of children in the preschool program varies from year to year, she always makes sure every single one of them is flourishing.

The teachers were awarded with a plaque engraved with their names and the year of the award. Every North Carolina television station was present to livestream the event.  

“I’m humbled and honored to be a part of an amazing school system, Athens Drive Magnet High School, The Health Science Academy and most of all … the Jaguar Family!” said Hulsey.