Clubs at Athens Drive – December 2017

December 13, 2017

Queer Straight Alliance

Queer Straight Alliance (QSA) is a student run club that works “to promote equality and provide a safe space to socialize and to discuss topics related to the LGBT community,” said Jason Hunning.  QSA is sponsored by Hunning, a special programs teacher and meets in his room, 2900, every Wednesday A and B lunch and every Friday, A lunch. During the fall, members of QSA had weekly presentations about specific LGBT topics such as queer history, lgbtq+ life in schools and current events. Speakers from the community also came in and talked to the club about their experiences regarding LGBT. In the spring, the club is looking forward to 3rd annual Transgender Awareness Luncheon, other guest speakers and participating in the National Day of Silence. QSA focuses on increasing awareness to fuel acceptance and “building good connections to establish a reliable support system,” said Danielle Puccio, president of the club.

Athens Senior Class Council

The Athens Senior Class Council meets in room 2618 every Wednesday after school to plan and help execute all senior events. The biggest events in the fall for the Senior Council were homecoming, designing the senior class shirt, choosing the senior class song and organizing Gradman. The rest of the year the club is looking forward to Gradman, Mar. 28, 2017, the Senior Picnic, the Senior Awards Assembly and graduation.

Mental Health Awareness

Mental Health Awareness (MHA) is a “safe place at Athens where students can discuss mental health and related topics,” said Danielle Puccio, president of the club.  MHA meets Mondays, A and B lunch in room 2714 to discuss thoughts and talk about mental health. The club focuses on raising awareness and understanding of mental health to Athens through education and openness. In May, the club is planning to host an event for mental health awareness month and also wants to conduct a seminar for guest speakers to come in. MHA is also planning on putting up posters around the school for teachers and students to become more educated about the mental health of the people around them.

LEO Club

LEO club is dedicated to the development of youth leadership skills through community service and teamwork. The club meets in Edward Burt’s room, 1808 and has had several guest speakers at their meetings including a dietitian and personal trainer, an optometrist and a culinary educator. In the fall, LEO club hosted a canned food drive for “Backpack Buddies,” volunteered at the Miracle League Baseball field, the Salvation Army soup kitchen and at Crabtree Mall for the Salvation Army’s “Angel Tree.” LEO club is planning on volunteering more at the Salvation Army soup kitchen, furthering their work with Miracle League and participating in car washes and classroom cleaning for teacher appreciation.

Key Club

Key Club meets the first Wednesday of every month in the auditorium during A lunch and also works on community service projects on different Wednesdays in room 2920. Announcements, reminders and volunteer opportunities are discussed during monthly meetings while project meetings include sorting food for Backpack Buddies and making blankets for children in hospitals called Project Linus. Key Club also partners with Grow Our Kids to collect food for students around the community who cannot afford it.

Student Government Association

Student Government Association (SGA) meets in Chris Remaley’s room, 2618, the first and third Tuesday of every month after school to help plan and carry out events such as homecoming, coming home, spirit week and more. SGA is preparing for the Charity Dodgeball Tournament, Dec. 20, 2017 and VolleyBros in February.

Revive Club

Revive club meets in Joseph Flory’s room, 2708, every Friday during lunch for fun activities, hangouts and to further learn about the bible. “The See You at the Pole” in September was a big event for Revive but they are also excited for Christmas, Easter and to have guest speakers come in at meetings. For the holidays, Revive will be giving out candy cane with positive messages to teachers around the school.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes 

“Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) meets on Friday mornings starting at 6:45 [a.m.] in [Joseph] Flory’s room, 2708,” said Katie Vick, sophomore, member of FCA. “On a typical Friday morning, club members meet to eat food, play games and learn what it means to live daily as a Christian, for Christmas, FCA will be handing out candy canes and Bibles to spread cheer.”

ATHENS ORACLE • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in