Gun laws should be subject to change to prevent future mass shootings

Photos by Courtesy of Cromwell Hotel

Jankhna Sura, Staff Writer

Through the numerous accounts of slaughter through gun violence, the laws for gun control remain the same in the United States. With every report of a shooting, the subject of gun laws arises, yet no adjustments are made to them. The colossal shooting that occurred in Las Vegas has left thousands devastated and challenging the state of current gun laws.

Oct. 1, 2017, Stephen Paddock, a 64 year-old-man, opened fire on a group of unarmed people at a concert venue in Las Vegas. Paddock had been on the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas hotel where he brought suitcases filled with firearms discreetly into, before he shot down onto the crowd. Using military weapons and automated firearms, Paddock killed 59 people and left over 500 injured. This carnage resulted in being the deadliest mass shooting to ever happen in the U.S. and left people in shock and in controversy with guns.

In the U.S., subsequently after a mass shooting, the topic of gun control is briefly heightened, but eventually dims over time as new issues appear. Gun control is a topic that has been controversial since the Columbine High School shooting of 1999 where fifteen high school students were killed and no gun law modifications were made.  In 2017 alone there have been 273 mass shootings recorded, and on average 93 people are killed daily by guns.

Gun owners advocate and defend the Second Amendment claiming that it is a “God-given right of self defense.”  Furthermore, based on the Supreme Court’s ruling in the District of Columbia vs. Heller and McDonald vs. Chicago, Republicans requested protection of constitutional rights relating to the rights and responsibility of firearms and ammunition and it was granted. What is not recognized is that there is nothing stopping another person from committing the same crime in a more abhorrent way with the laws currently in state.  As gun violence progresses, the American culture of storing and safeguarding guns should be “subject to reasonable regulation.”

People need to work on enhancing background checks and enforcing already existing laws on guns. Limiting gun ranges and restoring the ban on assault weapons may also help lower the sales of guns that end up in the hands of people who plan to use them for malicious purposes.

Although guns can be limited they will never disappear from citizens in the U.S. Even with laws that make obtaining guns more difficult, guns could potentially be smuggled, making the issue worse for the nation. Additionally, there is no guarantee that with fewer exposed guns, the violence will stop. Terrorism can still take the form in bombs and explosives but the demise of guns can diminish the amount of mass massacres in the U.S. today.

“How many more dead bodies will it take to wake up this Congress?” said Rep. John Lewis of Georgia to National Public Radio. “This must stop and it must stop now.”