The future of Psychologists

As millennials go on to college and choose the major they would like to pursue, a majority of them have been gravitating towards majoring in psychology. Many researchers and citizens have observed the massive increase in mental health disorders within teenagers and young adults in the past decade. Many teens believe they are eligible to help others with mental health struggles, as they have experienced mental health issues that are alike.  What they choose to ignore is the fact that they must work on and solve their own issues before they can truly help others in similar predicaments.

Any prospective psychologist must first receive a doctoral degree, pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) and have completed the required amount of supervised practice for the state in which they live. The backwards aspect about the process to become a licensed psychologist is that one will take the EPPP after they have been studying the information being tested for at least eight years; meaning most pass despite their possible lack of mental stability. In contrast, some states also have an oral test where applicants are observed on how they respond to nuances. While this is a step in the right direction, there is still no set examination that reviews an applicant’s mental health or medical history.

According to youth.gov, “One in every four to five youth in the general population meet criteria for a lifetime mental disorder.” These vary from anxiety to bipolar disorders. With statistics like these, a large portion of the current adolescent population is unfit to be practicing psychology.

The North Carolina Board of psychology allows up to four failures in one year to pass the EPPP test. This creates a loophole in the system. Applicants can fail the exam because they are not ready to become a licensed psychologist, but can simply study harder, pass the exam and still become licensed. This does not imply that the individual has a mental disorder, but proves they are not eligible to provide psychological care for others.

If people continue to try to help others with mental issues without aiding to their own first, the percentage of mental disorders in the population will only grow. Misjudged psychological care can deeply affect a patient’s condition. Additionally, people who have psychological issues and study psychology, only worsen their problem by learning about all the negative effects that can directly affect them. Majoring in psychology will not automatically solve their personal issues, as it not a form of treatment.

A psychological evaluation should be required of students who declare their major as psychology. If they fail to pass this evaluation according to the American Psychological Association, they should be advised to see a therapist if they still would like to pursue psychology. This will ensure a better mental health care system, better mental health among millennials and hopefully the world’s population.