Blood Drive

Blood Drive

Athens Drive Magnet High School (ADMHS) held a bi-annual Blood Drive hosted by UNC where people seventeen and older could donate blood to help those in need. The blood donated was then given to those who need it, such as hurricane survivors. Every three seconds someone is in need of blood. One out of every ten people who enter a hospital will end up needing blood during their stay.

“Every blood drive is a success in my eyes for Athens Drive,” said Jennifer Hulsey, director of the Health Science Academy (HSA). “You just do what you can to reach goals.”

Last year over three hundred people participated in the Blood Drive. This also included those who helped out with the drive. Donating one pint of blood helps save three lives. Last year, they collected two hundred twenty-five pints which saved up to six hundred seventy-five lives. The HSA plans to hold four blood drives this school year.

“Hosting a blood drive is a partnership where everyone wins,” said Hulsey.

Every day there is a bout thirty-two thousand pints of blood needed. A student donating blood causes the patient in need of blood a higher chance of survival. They are saving up to three lives and giving someone else the gift of living. This means that the student is doing something valuable in their community.

“Be well hydrated throughout the day and eat a big breakfast before coming to school,” said Nicholas Tabb, junior. “Don’t participate in any strenuous activities for the rest of the day. Women should make sure that they eat a breakfast (or lunch depending on the time that they are signed up for) with lots of iron to make sure their levels are high enough,”

Iron is needed in the blood because it is used to make hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is used for transporting oxygen through the blood. When someone donate blood it removes the iron in their body which can cause low iron levels and anemia (which is caused when there is little hemoglobin in the blood). Hydration is important because a person’s body needs water and as a donor they are losing an uncountable amount. The donor should avoid fatty foods and try to eat healthier. Fatty foods can affect the tests done on the patient’s blood done during the time you are donating.

The next blood drives will be held November 20 and March 1. Students must be in good health and feeling well. They have to weigh at least one hundred ten pounds and have not donated blood within the last fifty-six days. The donor should wear sleeves that can be raised above the elbow because they will be drawing blood from the center of the arm. They should bring a list of medications that they are taking at the time, if any.

“People have given information to me such as; if you are afraid of needles, look away and don’t think about it,” said Tabb.

Being a first time blood donor will most likely be scary. It is found easier for both the patient and the one drawing the blood if the patient in calm. It will end up hurting more if they are fearful during that time.

When a person donates, they will need to have some form of identification. This could be a student ID or driver’s license. If they have forgotten their student ID and do not have their license with them or do not have one, the student can get a temporary ID from student services. The blood drive was held  in the lower level of the school building by the art rooms in the alcove that leads to the courtyard area. This is not the courtyard by the lunch room. There were free t-shirts and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches prepared for those who chose to donate.

“It’s easy for ADMHS to donate,” said Hulsey, HSA director.