Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Brady Jones
Brady Jones
Assistant News Editor

Brady Jones is a Senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester with the Athens Oracle. After school, he is an involved member of the Athens Drive theatre department, handling the technical components...

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Trump’s removal of DACA is detrimental to the United States

790,000 unauthorized immigrants have been insured work permits and the ability to remain in the United States and obtain a degree under President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program since 2012, when it was created. President Trump has now threatened to take those opportunities away.

The program states that any person who immigrated to the United States before age 16 is allowed to stay, as long as they meet the requirements. These include enrollment in school, having a high school diploma or GED and no serious criminal charges.

Several weeks ago, President Trump called for the removal of this plan, which would cause the deportation of nearly 800,000 people who currently live and work in every state across the US. This has been widely regarded as immoral, because it prevents innocent children from receiving an education with similar opportunities as American children.

In many cases, the “dreamers” brought to the United States were brought against their will, as babies or small children. Therefore, they had no choice in whether or not they wanted to stay in the country under the protection of the act.

A common theory posed by opposers of the removal say that President Trump only wants to remove the bill to undo what remains from the Obama Administration.

This theory has angered many people who back the bill, saying that education and opportunities don’t need to be taken from people who did not decide to come to the United States for themselves.

After finishing public school, “Dreamers” support the economy by working in the United States. Their jobs, support and skills are what makes America a diverse nation. Removing them from their homes and workplaces would be the same as removing an important part of what makes America, America.