Filed under Inside & Out

Athens Drive continues spirit week tradition

Athens Drive Magnet High School (ADMHS) is preparing for the annual homecoming week from Oct. 2-6. This year the theme is board games. The activities include dressing up for spirit week days, the pep rally, the tailgate, the parade and the football game.

ADMHS kicks off its homecoming week with the annual spirit week and dress up days. For the 2017 homecoming, the days are Risk (camo out) Monday, Twister (workout) Tuesday, Battleship (class colors) Wednesday, Cranium (nerd) Thursday and Sorry (blue and orange) Friday. Each class is assigned a theme and is encouraged to dress up within it.

“Spirit week is just a chance for everyone to show their school spirit and show how much they love the school,” said Mary Grace Bunch, senior class president.

Many students claim spirit week is an important part of high school because it gives them a sense of unity and pride in their school. Pride is a major component in schools because it reveals that students are involved in school and are not just onlookers; it shows they have affection for the school. Honor for the school also contributes to academic benefits for reason of when pupils feel good about their surroundings they begin to establish satisfaction in their work and accomplishments.

The pep rally is a time for the entire school to come together to cheer on the sports teams. During the pep rally, the students unite and try to make as much noise as possible. The homecoming court is also announced and the class floats will be paraded.

The pep rally is a time to take a break from all the stress and challenging tasks that one deals with throughout school and make worthy memories with friends. The event connects students by uniting each class to show the school that they have the most school spirit. The normal high school day includes excitement and spontaneity through the pep rally and culminates the experience of homecoming.

“Things usually go pretty smoothly, but towards the last day with setting up displays and stuff, it can get little hectic for student council,” said Bunch.

The homecoming parade is a time for the students and past alumni to come out and reminisce over the high school days. The parade includes floats, the marching band, sports teams, tailgates and more at the school. During the parade, it is a time for students and people of the town to come together and rally, cheer on the football time and celebrate ADMHS. The football game and dance follow short after.

The parade is an important part of homecoming week because it sets the mood for the rest of the year for students.The entire student body is involved in various recreations that creates more opportunity for students to involve in school.

“Last year was the first year parading the floats, so I think this year now that we had that practice year that it will be better and a lot more put together,” said Bunch.

The student council spends several weeks advertising homecoming and building the floats for the parade before the homecoming game. Within the student council there are different committees with people working on the tailgate, others on the homecoming court, some advertising and decorating. The executive board also decides the themes of the week that were not already prepped in the summer.

“I think we are going to have a lot more student involvement because in the student class council, the groups are larger so I think it’s going to be a lot better turnout,” said Ross Kennel, science teacher.

Homecoming week takes a lot of collaboration among staff and students and is about the recollections from the past and the present.

“I look forward to spirit week where everyone dresses up, we all do something as a school together, I love that, I love the pep rally which we all do together,” said Chris Remaley, math teacher, head of student council and senior advisor. “Everything about homecoming week is just fantastic, it’s always good stuff.”