Jaguar Football on the Rise

The Athens Drive Magnet High School Varsity Football Team has won more games so far this season than any season in the past few years. Coaches and athletes have worked and trained very hard to prepare for the 2017 fall season.

“We are older and more mature and we have a better understanding  playing with each other,” said Orlando Flowers, junior.

In previous years Athens Drive came close to making it to the playoffs. Most football teams do not see the team as a threat or competition, but this year the team wants to change.  With the leadership on the team and the fairly new coaching staff, “the goal for the team is to go deep in the playoffs,” said Flowers.

“I enjoy helping my teammates with things they do not understand,” said Flowers.

In sports like football and even basketball there are plays or routes the athletes must memorize. Coaches do their best to make sure each player knows the plan, but if not they rely on upperclassmen to take the lead. Some of the players have been playing with each other for a few years while others have played together for a few months. The adjustment for the newcomers won’t be easy.

“The students and parents make the games ten times more fun and pumped up,” said Flowers.

The student council plans themes for each football game to make the school spirit feel alive. The students in “The Jungle” always take part of the theme for the games. They give the parents and the cheerleaders more to cheer about. The head principal at Athens Drive, Stephen Mares, also announces the games a few days in advance to gain a bigger crowd at the Friday Night games.

“I knew when I was in college that I wanted to get back to the game of football. I didn’t realize how much the game meant until it was gone,” said Johnathon Pugh, Offensive Line coach.

The drive and determination for the boys on the team are very high. The coaches want to see the team succeed in every way possible.

“That’s an indescribable feeling,” said Pugh.