Athens rock climber reaches new heights

At 10 years old a little girl made a big decision to go to rock climbing camp instead of ice skating camp. This one small choice four years ago lead her on the path to be one of top 10 climbers in her age category across the country. Emma Grace Lehmann, a freshman at Athens Drive High School, competes at a national level with Team Triangle Rock Club and Coach Kerry Scott.

“Emma Grace excels in all different styles of climbing. She can be dynamic on overhung boulders, as well as technical on long sport routes. She can climb a 15 meter wall in 12 seconds when she needs to, she can also slow down and concentrate on her technique when the climb calls for that. She may be a bit shorter than her competitors, but her strength, power, and knowledge of climbing movement helps her stay ahead,” said Scott.

Lehmann has qualified for seven national championships while other kids with her age don’t normally qualify for final round at nationals . She is also a elite team member, which is the highest team rank at her gym. On her elite team she climbs with 15 to 20 other climbers. Being on this team is considered a privilege because only national competitors are on this team.

“Though Lehmann is a nationally ranked climber, she still has her weaknesses like everyone else. After each climb Lehmann takes time to reflect and determine what she did well and where she can improve. Her dream is to one day be a world ranked climber,” said Scott.

Lehmann’s strengths, both physical and mental, help her rise above the competition. She has shown confidence and strength at competitions. To qualify for nationals one has to start at regionals and work their way up. In order to go to regionals they must first go to two competitions in your region. After this they can compete at regionals and they have to place in the top seven to advance to divisionals. At divisionals, they need to place top six to move onto nationals. At nationals they also need to make top 20 to make it’s to semi finals and top 10 to make it to finals, you also need to be placed top four to be on the national team and compete at the world championship.  

“While growing as a climber, Lehmann has also grown as a person, and shows a leadership role on team. We have a lot of elite team members who are younger than her, and she really welcomes them onto team and helps them learn and grow in any way she can. She sees the potential in every one of our team members, and works hard to help them believe in themselves as well. She always cheers on her teammates at competitions, and shares any strategies she has learned in her competition career,” said Scott.

Lehmann enjoys the support of her coaches, team members, her parents and close friends. Though she does have hard times they always seem to show support for her and her sport. Rock Climbing is a physically active and enduring sport.

“In rock climbing staying in shape is a critical part of being successful, but with practicing anyone can achieve their goal. It can also help with stress relieve, and teach you how to focus better and notice small details. Climbing affects people in all different ways,”said Lehmann.