Teachers offer parting advice as class of 2017 prepares to leave for college

While walking down the hallways at Athens Drive, students can look at any teacher’s door, and next to it, find where that teacher went to college, as well as their hometown, along with a bolded invitation to “Ask me about it!” With the class of 2017 graduating in just a few weeks, many seniors are taking advantage of the advice teachers have to give.

“Most colleges have agendas with all the football games and important dates in them,” said Grady Elrod, English teacher. “Definitely make friends with other people in your classes. if you are disorganized and they are organized, they can remind you.”

The transition from high school to college can be hard on many students. Especially those who are disorganized. Many students struggle without parents or teachers to help them stay on top of due dates.

“If you can manage your time and get all your academics and all your extra curriculars and everything else that you handle, in a high school setting…then making the adjustment in college is not a big deal,” said Christopher Remaley, math teacher. “If you can’t, you better be able to figure it out now.”

It can also be hard for students to live without parents. Making healthy food choices and sharing rooms is often something that high schoolers are not accustomed to doing alone.

“You have to get used to living in a very small space with a lot of people,” said Jessica Crooks, history teacher. “Adjusting to making your own choices is difficult. I was used to my mom kind of encouraging me to make healthy choices.”

Most seniors claim to suffer from senioritis at some point or another during the school year. It results in procrastination and a belief that once seniors finalize their college choices, their grades are not as important as they used to be.

“Transcripts still get sent to your colleges, as well as merit based funding scholarships. I knew someone who had a full ride to NC state to play golf, but got it all taken away,” said Shannon Burleson, science teacher.

Preparation is important as well. Each teacher recommended attending orientation programs and classes that seniors may be interested in taking during college, or that are required for their majors.

“I think it’s important that we listen to our teacher’s advice about college.” said Kelly Avery, senior. “They’ve experienced it, and the best advice usually comes from those who have experienced it.”

As the class of 2020 moves on to whatever they choose to do after High School, many will look back and remember where they got their time at Athens Drive.