Trump’s Healthcare plan would leave people worse off than with Obamacare

By: Cameron Thomas

United States President Donald Trump has already tried repealing the Affordable Care Act set in place by former president Barack Obama. Trump has promised health care for everyone and so far, the opposite is projected to happen.

According to an estimate made by the Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO), the plan that Trump would have put into place would have 14 million fewer people insured in 2018 versus current law and 24 million fewer people in 2026. Trump is directly breaking his campaign promises with this healthcare plan.

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” said Trump in an interview with the Washington Post.  

According to a poll released by American Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), the  Grand Old Party (GOP)’s failed health care plan will not be popular with Americans. Of six changes the bill would have made to President Barack Obama’s law, five drew more negative than positive reviews.  Eight in ten people opposed the Republican proposal to let insurers boost premiums on elderly people, and seven in ten disapproved of premium surcharges for people whose coverage lapses. People also dislike the GOP’s proposed cuts to Medicaid and a halt to federal payments for Planned Parenthood. Slightly over 50 percent of people in the poll said they worry many Americans would have lost coverage if the GOP bill become law.

Fortunately, Congress did not vote on Trump’s health care plan, and Republicans have to go with a “plan B,” which they previously said did not exist. Republicans said that they were moving on from health care but were still working on it on March 24.

“Have we had some discussions and listened to ideas? Yes. Are we actively planning an Immediate strategy? Not at this time,” said White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer, trying to reassure reporters that nothing more than exchanged ideas and continued conversations concerning health care.