Art and is inspirations at the drive

Headline- Benefits of art at Athens and how it helps students.

Wake County provides many art classes throughout the school system. Observations of the school system show that when students participate in art classes, they do better academically. Students also show feelings and important thoughts in art. Studies from Scientific Learning show that art has many benefits socially, mentally/emotionally and physically as far as stress.

“The most important thing about art at Athens is that it provides students the opportunity to express themselves individually ,” said Farrall Hilton, ADHS art teacher.

High school students deal with a lot between school work, college applications, extracurricular activities and parental expectations. This is all causing stress towards high school students according to NYU. Art helps students get away or express thoughts through their work.

“A well-rounded educational experience that includes the arts is closely linked to academic achievement, social and emotional development, civic engagement, and equitable opportunity. A well-rounded educational experience that includes the arts is closely linked to academic achievement, social and emotional development, civic engagement, and equitable opportunity, ” said Jessica Velasco from Scientific Learning.

Art improves learning skills in many different ways. Many art programs in schools are being eliminated due to budget cuts and other reasons. However, art at Athens is here to stay.

“I think sometimes the arts is the reason some kids come to school number one… sometimes when things get very challenging it is easy to give up so so students or just any age group will assume ‘oh I will take art it will be easy’ and they don’t realize how hard it can be and the expectations they need to meet. When they find out they give up, but on the flip side of this coin we have a lot of success out of it here at Athens..” said Hilton.

The art classes at Athens do different art projects using different tools and materials. Different materials teach the students many forms of art.

“This is the critical thinking part of art, it is like an algebra problem. You put these three variables together to show this creativity and collaboration and inspiration,” said Hilton.

The different forms of art help students understand that there is not just one way to show creativity. There are many ways to express thoughts and feelings.

“I think that our unity lies in our diversity and art allows students a way to channel that,” said Hilton.