Kids show off unique talents on NBC’s Little Big Shots

The National Broadcasting Company’s (NBC) recent addition of a talent show series to their programming features kids who showcase their unique talents. These talents range from animal calling to quoting Shakespeare. The series, named “Little Big Shots”, airs new episodes every Sunday night at 8:00 p.m. on NBC. The show is currently in its second season.  

“Little Big Shots” is executively produced by Ellen Degeneres and Steve Harvey. The idea for the show was originally Degeneres’s idea, who then convinced Harvey to be the host. After the show first premiered March 2016, it quickly became NBC’s number one most watched show on the channel.

“The whole thing came about because we have such great kids on our show, that we came up with the idea that they shouldn’t just be limited to this. Plus, we have like one kid on the show, possibly, a week, so we decided to put a show together that is all kids,” said Degeneres.

The show features children between the ages 3 and 14 from all over the world who are looking to showcase their talents. Each episode begins with an interview with the child about their talent or special skill which is followed by a live performance of the talent. Although the show is not a competition, the child is often presented with a prize at the end of their segment. In the season two premiere, five-year-old Lucy was awarded with airline tickets to see the Lincoln Memorial after expressing her adoration for President Lincoln and reciting the Gettysburg Address. During the interview portion, Lucy revealed that she had been collecting money in hopes to visit many of the historical sites relating to Lincoln, prompting the award.

“I’m collecting [money] to go places. Like Mount Rushmore, his cabin house, his memorial,” said Lucy.

Other talented kids seen on the show include singers, dancers and experts in various school subjects, such as memorizing all 206 bones of the body.  The purpose of the show is to let children get up on stage and show the world what they are passionate about. A few kids featured on “Little Big Shots” had first appeared on The Ellen Show, but many are asked to be on the show after sending in a video of their talent.

“Little Big Shots” is a feel-good family series that provides viewers with an hour of kids showing off their unique talents. The show is not intended to be a competition, but rather to celebrate the children and their passions. The Sunday night show can lift the spirits of any person who may be having a bad day or entertain someone who is looking to watch a drama-free form of entertainment.  

“It’s such a cute show, and all of the kids are so impressive. I sometimes watch it when I just need a break from the stress of school and homework. I wish that I was as talented as those kids when I was younger,” said Emily Wesson, senior.