Curriculum night introduces rising ninth graders to Athens

Athens Drive held Curriculum Night Feb. 23, 2017. The night was dedicated to both rising ninth graders and their parents as well as to rising 10-12th graders, introducing them to the classes and clubs that will be offered in the coming school year.

Kasey Quiller, the mother of a rising ninth grader, attended Curriculum Night with her daughter.

“I thought it was a great way to learn about all the clubs and athletics that athens had to offer,” said Quiller.

One of the many events during the course of the night was the club fair. Club staffers and leaders from many clubs such as Orchestra, Theatre, and even Alien Club, as well as a few of the teachers who sponsor them, made posters and presentations for the club fair, which took place in the cafeteria.

“They made me want to do specific clubs. They also made me feel excited about the upcoming school year,” said Hollyn Quiller, rising ninth grader.

An assembly was also held where various administrators addressed the rising ninth graders. They learned about the expectations at the school, such as the dress code, as well as some basics about high school, like how many credits you need to graduate.

“I loved the enthusiasm at the assembly,” said Hollyn Quiller. “ Hearing the band and learning the fight song was really cool. It got me excited about being a part of the school community.”

While events like Curriculum Night have been held in the past, this is the first time both currently enrolled students and rising students have been together.  

“We like to consider ourselves a family. And like a family, we need to get together once and awhile,” said Stephen Mares, principal.

Mares says it is important for rising 10-12th graders to attend events like this because it helps them keep their eyes on the future by learning about opportunities that can aid them into getting into college.

Students that are passionate about programs at Athens can also encourage and welcome rising ninth graders that may be confused or uneasy.

“We loved the enthusiasm of everyone,” said Kasey Quiller. “They seemed anxious for my daughter to be there with them.”

Hollyn says she is excited for the upcoming school year. She took an interest in Key Club and likes the prospect of being able to serve the community through her school. She says that attending Curriculum night enabled her to learn about more clubs than she even knew existed.

Events like Curriculum Night allow students to get a feel for their school before August rolls around, as well as somewhat familiarize themselves with the material they will learn in their classes.

I appreciated that the teachers stayed later to welcome us and answer questions that we had. They helped me as a parent to understand what my child needed and what plans would be best for her to pursue during her four years at Athens,” said Kasey Quiller.