Students celebrate Valentines Day with singing valentines

Each year at Athens Drive, the chorus students come together and continue the annual tradition of singing valentines.The students go from classroom to classroom singing various songs about love, and friendship and handing out gifts.

“We started working on practicing the various songs we would perform towards the end of December after the Christmas concert until valentine’s day. It is definitely something all students and chorus members look forward to on valentine’s day,” said Averi Zimmerman, sophomore in chorus.  

From Feb. 8-10 and 13, students were given the opportunity to purchase a Valentine such as a song, card or rose for their friend or crush. Students also bought valentines for their close friends in hope that it would embarrass them. People paid five dollars to pick one song of their choice, while those who wanted to add a rose to the gift paid an extra three dollars.

During first period Feb. 14th, chorus students began the day singing from classroom to classroom handing out gifts and letters to their recipients. The students not only sang but used various instruments such as the keyboard, guitar and cajon drum. This continued on throughout the school day to create a lovely valentine’s day for many students at Athens Drive.

“Singing Valentine’s is super fun! It is really a great learning opportunity because we have to basically compose music with only our classmates and there is few of us,” said Zimmerman.

With the option to send the valentine’s anonymously, many students and teachers were surprised to receive them during the class period. Some of the featured songs were “the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. theme song,” “Lean on Me,” “I Want to Dance With Somebody,” “Can’t Help Falling in Love” along with many other mashups and pop songs.

“This year I bought my brother a singing valentine, it was very funny because I got to send it anonymously and he did not know it was me which made it ten times better,” said Mary Grace Bunch, junior.

Many students believe singing valentine’s are a great way for students to have the opportunity to give their loved one a gift of appreciation as well as hope that the tradition continues to go on and grow throughout the years.

“I hope the tradition of singing valentine’s continues to go on it’s a great way for students to express their feelings and show appreciations towards one another,” said Grace Devlin, sophomore.