Altercations at lunch cause staff to threaten lunch

During lunch Sept. 16th there were four altercations in the 50 minute period. The administration has threatened to take away SMART lunch as a result of the chaos that has ensued.

Athens Drive has had a history of fights during the lunch period at the beginning of each year. At the start of the 2015-2016 school year there were seven fights within one lunch period and at the start of the 2014-2015 school year there was a stampede as a result of multiple fights in a lunch period.

Currently, Athens Drive has SMART lunch which is a two part lunch period where students can attend tutorials or do whatever they please within a 50 minute time period. Due to the constant fights and chaos during lunch, the administration has threatened to alter how lunch operates at Athens.

If the fighting continue then the administration will split up lunch into three different time periods. Students will be assigned one of three lunch period, each of which taking place over third period. Each lunch period will be 45 minutes and everyone will have the same amount of time for third period learning.

Recently, lunch has been reduced by five minutes because of announcements being moved to the beginning of second period. Some teachers who have classes have notified administration that this interferes with learning time so lunch was adjusted to make second and third period have the same amount of learning time.

“It makes no sense. Each class gets added like a minute, wow! What are we going to do in that minute?” said Brenan Flores, sophomore.

The lunch fights are also a threat to the upcoming spirit week. The administration has said that if the fights continue, then spirit week will be another privilege that will be lost for Athens Drive students.

“I feel bad for the students who have been planning spirit week only to have it be taken away if the fights continue in the cafeteria,” said Karla Montes, junior.

Along with spirit week and SMART lunch, the Homecoming pep rally and the Homecoming dance could possibly be cancelled.