Athens Drive Magnet Theme Showcase

Magnet Theme Showcase

The new health science magnet program at Athens Drive is providing lots of new opportunities for students to take health science oriented classes and explore career options in the medical field. In order to publicize Athens Drive’s new magnet status, Athens Drive High School held its first Magnet Theme Showcase, an annual, school-wide event of around 300 people that took place on Dec.1 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

The Athens Drive Magnet Theme Showcase is an opportunity for future Athens Drive High School students and parents to get an inside look at Athens Drive and all of the programs and classes ADHS has to offer.

“Multiple sessions and exhibits were available by academic departments, Health Science Academy, STEM, parents and students,” said Tonya Hinton, ADHS Magnet Coordinator.

The Magnet Theme Showcase was held in classrooms all over the building, the auditorium and the gym. These sessions and presentations can be useful for future Athens Drive families because they can learn the actual details of the programs and hear from students about their experiences and in a “less stress” environment. Families can also schedule a school tour on the Athens Drive website if they wish to learn more about ADHS.

“People will tend to think that all high schools are the same and in many ways that is true, but the Magnet Theme Showcase was an opportunity for Athens to stand out and be unique,” said Chris Remaley, math teacher.

Athens Drive has new classes being offered through the magnet program, one being a pharmacy tech class that was added last year.

“There are more classes on the way,” said Hinton.

It is uncertain when new classes will be ready for students to take since they are still in planning stages.

The Magnet Theme Showcase is an event that could be informative for all future or prospective Athens Drive families. Families can learn all about Athens Drive in a laid back atmosphere.

“To put together this huge school wide event required the hard work, enthusiasm, planning, and collaboration of our entire Athens Drive HS community. I cannot begin to thank everyone enough for their involvement!”  said Hinton.