Brock Turner

Brock Turner was released after spending three months in jail after raping an unconscious woman who is called “Emily Doe.” A prosecutor argued that Turner should serve six years, while a judge ruled for him to serve six months.

“Nowadays, in our generation, the court system and justice system create a barrier between them and women. They see our struggles as insignificant and they favor white males/males, over us. That is unfair and selfish,” said Brittany Kinard, senior.

People v. Turner, is a case that has brought controversy over how the justice system treats sexual assault survivors. According to CNN, protesters gathered around the Santa Clara County Jail on Sept. 2, outraged, they expressed their anger through various signs that read “Protect survivors, not rapists!”                                    

On Jan. 18, 2015, Turner raped an unconscious and intoxicated woman which resulted in Turner being convicted of three counts of felony sexual assault. The convictions carried the possible sentence of 14 years, while prosecutors recommended six years.

“Brock Turners sentence was way too lenient, he ruined a young woman’s life and he was excused for it because it would ruin his career,” said Abigail Brinkman, senior.

On June 2, Judge Aaron Persky of the Santa Clara County Superior Court sentenced Turner to six months in the Santa Clara jail with three years of probation. Turner was also to register as a sex offender and receive help at a sex offender rehabilitation program.

The aftermath of the People v. Turner caught widespread attention. Accusations emerged, criticisms such as Persky abused his power because of his privilege, as well as Persky is bias and favors males. A recall campaign for Persky’s resignation has raised more than $250,000.

“I think the fact that he is an athlete gave the media something to hold onto, to prove he wasn’t a monster and that he had a future,” said Brinkman.

Protesters have gathered outside Turner’s home. “Rapist,” “Beware sex offender” and other messages were drawn in chalk on his sidewalk, driveway and street, in Turners neighborhood. The guards who had kept Turner in protective custody handed him a package of hate mail which had built up as he exited.

“In today’s world, sexual assault is getting more and more attention. People are more aware of assault and how the cases have not given justice to the victim,” said Kinard.

Turner has been registered as a sex offender in Ohio and lives with his parents. Turner will have to re-register every 90 days as a sex offender, postcards have been sent to surrounding communities to alert them that a sex offender lives near by. Turner is on prohibition for three years and must abstain from drugs and alcohol.