Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

Danazia McLean, also known as Nae, is a senior at Athens Drive High School and a member of the Idea Hunters of Athens Oracle. In her free time, she enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with her friend...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef
Staff Writer

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Rose Luck
Rose Luck
Copy Editor

Rose Luck is a Junior at Athens Drive. She enjoys making jewelry and listening to music. This is Rose's second year, and third semester writing for the Athens Oracle. She finds journalism fun and as it...

Re-Interviewing teachers is demeaning and unnecessary

The hiring of teachers seems like an extremely straightforward process to an outside eye. When an adult with a teaching license is interested in working at a school, they apply for the position, go through an interview with administrators and then decided upon whether they received the position. Interviewing for a job at the same workplace is usually a one time deal, but with the new magnet program in place at Athens Drive, teachers were required to re-interview in March of 2016 if they wanted to remain at Athens for the 2016-2017 school year. Re-interviewing current teachers in order to keep the job they already have is unnecessary, demeaning and should not be a requirement as a school becomes magnet.

Becoming a magnet school is a big honor for the whole school. The magnet schools receive more funding, are able to teach specialized programs and classes, and more teachers are brought in, therefore reducing class sizes. However, a requirement set forth by the Wake County Public School System regarding the rehiring process of teachers creates a very uncomfortable situation for teachers. Their teaching abilities are put on the line once again. If the teachers were good enough to be brought into the school the first time they were hired, why should their credibility be questioned once again? It is unfair to put the teachers in a position where they will not know if they get to return when they work so hard to better their students and the school. It is insulting to them knowing that if they do not get rehired that they are not good enough to be at Athens Drive and is insulting to their career. Granted, many teachers are offered a position after they have gone through the interview process, but the anxiety and waiting period that comes while waiting to hear back can all be avoided.

The magnet status of a school requires top-notch teachers who are innovative, work well with students and care about their students education. The real question is: is this not the job of all teachers, regardless if they work at a magnet school? Should a teacher be working anywhere if they do not posess these basic teaching skills? The teachers who did not pass the requirements during their rehiring process were displaced to different schools throughout Wake County. This way, only the best ranked teachers could work at magnet schools and the teachers who do not quite make the cut work elsewhere. This creates a bigger divide between schools that are “good” and “bad.” A parent will not want to send his or her child to a school that has leftover teachers, they will want to send them to the school with the best teachers in the county. Therefore the stronger students will be going to magnet schools, leaving the non-magnet schools with the lower level students and teachers. Administration should be sure that when they hire teachers for any school they will be “magnet approved,” meaning they should be able to keep all their teachers if they ever turn magnet. This will save time later on and ensure students are receiving the best education possible.

A school’s success can only come when teachers, students and administration can all work together towards bettering the education and opportunities given at a school. Whether a magnet school or not, teachers should feel secure in the school they teach at in order to feel that investing time and energy is worth it. Rehiring teachers into a school they already work at creates unnecessary competition and anxiety. If a teacher was hired at the beginning of their teaching career at Athens Drive, they should be confident that they have this job until they decide to retire or move, regardless of what status the school has.