Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Sierra Moore
Sierra Moore

Sierra Moore is a junior at Athens Drive. This is Sierra's first year on the Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with her friends. In her free time she also enjoy drawing and listening to music.

Farewell Kobe Bean Bryant

Kobe Bean Bryant, 37,  retired after playing 20 National Basketball Association (NBA) seasons as a Los Angeles Laker. Nov. 29 Bryant announced his plan to retire and hang up the game he loves. Bryant’s impact on the game during the 2000s has been similar to Michael Jordan in his prime. Bryant still is an individual that has shown the fans a drive and willingness to do whatever it took to win when it mattered.

Bryant began playing basketball at the age of two years old and developed a passion for it. His father, Joe Bryant, played in the NBA and overseas in Italy before moving back to the United States when he retired. Bryant went on to attend Lower Merion High School in Pennsylvania.  He was a phenomenon during his high school career, gaining national recognition and averaging 30.8 points, 12 rebounds, and 6.5 assists per game. His level of play during this senior year led to Bryant making the decision to go straight to the NBA and skip college in 1996.

The Charlotte Hornets in the 1996 NBA draft traded their 13th draft pick, Kobe Bryant, to the Lakers, which was Bryant’s dream come true because his favorite team growing up was the Lakers.

“I chose the NBA because it was the ultimate challenge, if I was forty years old sitting looking back on my career, if I went to college then the NBA, maybe I would have had a great career, maybe not; still having that doubt in my mind that could I have answer the challenge,” said Bryant.

Bryant took the league by storm with his savvy moves and athleticism during his career. He was able to win many awards such as Slam Dunk Champion, MVP, 12x NBA All-Defensive Team, 15x All-NBA Team and 2x NBA Finals MVP. Bryant was top box office for the Lakers his entire career. People wanted to see Bryant play either on TV or in real life action because of the excitement he brought to the game every night. Bryant had shocking scoring performances with one of his greatest being the 81-point game against the Toronto Raptors  Jan. 22, 2006. Only Wilt Chamberlain scored more (100 points) in a single game in NBA history. NBA fans never knew what to expect from him because it could be a 50-point game or a unbelieveable game-winner against the opposite team.

“What I admire the most about Bryant was the way he scored on people so easily and the  approach to the game, mental and physical,” said Malik Talton, senior.  

Bryant took the game as seriously as possible; he felt that every chance was an opportunity to learn about an opponent or expand his game. A common way fans described Bryant throughout his career was as a competitor. During his career he suffered 22 injuries, but he always found a way to play through the injury and give the fans and teammates his all.

Coming into the 2015-2016 season, many believed it was Bryant’s last season because his 2014 and 2015 season been cut due to lingering injuries. Games passed by and Bryant was not performing to his standard, and the Lakers were not either. “This season is all I have left to give. My heart can take the pounding. My mind can handle the grind but my body knows it’s time to say goodbye,” said Bryant.

From that point forward it was the Farewell Mamba Tour, as he played his final games being a Laker. Support and insight on Bryant’s career was reflected by players and coaches all over the NBA by how great he has been to the game. Certain superstars around the league  received a signature shoe from Bryant as a parting gift and to keep up the success. Every game Bryant tried to put on a show and play through any injury to ensure the fans got what they paid for.

“Kobe retiring is such a terrible thing, he was so good at what he did and always wanted to get better to reach new heights,” said Jordan Johnson, senior.

April 13 was Bryant’s last go around as he faced off the Utah Jazz in a sold out area at the Staples Center. Celebrities and fans all showed up to see what magic he could bring to the table.  Bryant was nothing less than great as he was able to score sixty points shooting 22-50 from the field. He outscored the entire Jazz team by himself 23-21 providing a spark which lead to a Lakers victory. Bryant went out with style and played his last game with passion.

“I can’t believe this happening, Kobe Bryant is retiring the greatest player I ever watched in my time so far,” said Steven Judd senior.