Muslim Student Association raises money for refugee family

MSA members participate in a bake sale in order to raise money for Syrian refugees. 
Picture credits: MSA twitter page
MSA members participate in a bake sale in order to raise money for Syrian refugees. Picture credits: MSA twitter page

Athens Drive’s Muslim Student Association (MSA) is a non-profit club that was created to unify the Muslim student body. MSA was created in order to intensify its  members’ faith and increase Muslim awareness throughout the community.

Meetings are held Wednesdays during B- lunch and Jummah prayer is held Fridays during A- lunch in Daniel Hrehor’s room 2916. Wednesday meetings usually consist of lessons from the Quran and discussions on ideas for more social gatherings.

“I think it’s good to have meetings every week. The topics are really informative,” said Yusrah Oyewole, freshman member of MSA.

Jummah is a congregational prayer held every Friday; it begins with a call to prayer followed by a message from the Quran, and ends with prayer.  

MSA wishes to appeal to all Athens Drive students, regardless of religion.

“What I love about MSA is that even in high school, people that share the same faith can come together and just be there for each other,” Oyewole said.

Throughout the year,  MSA frequently gathered in socials such as the Triangle MSA beach trip and a picnic with other MSA organizations throughout Wake County.

“This year, our goal was to increase our benefit to the greater community because this is how MSA started and through that and many other activities increase our members’ faith and closeness to God,” said Ali Hida, Co-President of MSA.

The Athens Drive MSA also gives opportunities for its members to reach out and spread Muslim values throughout the Raleigh community. In Islam, one of the Five Pillars is giving charity to those in need. This year, the club raised $200 through a bake sale in order to raise money for local Syrian refugees.

“The project we’re giving all our effort to right now is helping a Syrian refugee family living in Durham, all thanks to God we were able to raise more than $200 for the family through a bake sale,” Hida said. “We’re following up on them by connecting them to the Durham Muslim community and trying to get them a job there or even here in Raleigh.”

Earlier in the year, MSA collaborated with Athens Drive’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and collected a total of 1.2k+ cans for the second annual Our Three Winners food drive. The food drive is in remembrance of three Muslims: Deah, Yusor, and Razan.

Overall, MSA is an opportunity to unite Muslims and non-Muslims to achieve similar goals among the Raleigh community. “Through MSA, we wanted to reclaim the Muslim narrative,” Hida said.