Cast is set for jazz inspired musical ‘Thoroughly Modern Millie’

Prior to every musical and play, actors must go through the audition process. Over 50 students at Athens Drive High School auditioned Feb. 18 and 19 for the upcoming musical, “Thoroughly Modern Millie.”

Set during the Roaring Twenties, “Thoroughly Modern Millie” is based on the 1967 Academy Award-winning film and has won six Tony Awards.

The musical tells the story of a young woman named Millie Dillmount who ambitiously travels to New York City in search of a new life. She plans to find a job as a secretary and marry her wealthy boss. Millie experiences many unexpected events throughout her adventure in New York City, including combatting female slavery and falling in love.

This year, 26 students were cast in the show. Rayane Amrani, senior, will play the part of Millie.

“It’s going be a blast, I’m so excited. Usually I just had supporting roles and this is my first time playing a lead and it’s going to be a lot of work, but I’m so ready for it,” Amrani said.

Amrani has had a role in every musical production at Athens Drive since her freshman year. Averi Zimmerman, freshman, landed herself the understudy role of Millie, as well as an ensemble role.

“I want to be a lead by senior year hopefully. Most of all, I want the audience to enjoy themselves, I think that’s really important,” said Zimmerman, hoping to follow in Amrani’s footsteps.

“It’s a smaller cast than musicals in years past, but we’re going to have a lot of fun. It’s a really cute musical and it’s a really great cast,” said Ashlynn Hayes, Athens Drive theatre teacher and director of the productions at Athens Drive.

This is Hayes’ first year of teaching. She replaced Burgundy Trimmer, who had been at Athens for the past ten years. Hayes has high aspirations for this year’s theatre department and the future of the arts at the school.

“I knew that Mrs. Trimmer had left a great program. So the only expectation that I had was that I would have great students,” Hayes said.

Hayes is also the teacher advisor of the International Thespian Society (ITS) at Athens Drive. ITS Troupe 7121 has a strict code for how to be a part of the society. In order to be eligible to join, students must participate in two productions. This participation may include having a role or doing technical work backstage or in the booth.

ITS is an educational theatre organization that has inducted more than two million thespians since 1929, with 36,000 students being inducted yearly. This year’s ITS has over 25 members. Two of these thespians include Josh McCormack and Sydney Schupp, the current President and Vice President, respectively.

“We really want to push the fact that we are an honors society, we’d like people to do more volunteer work, spread the love of theatre and recruit people,” said McCormack.

The 2016 ITS Inductions will take place mid-May in the Athens Drive Auditorium. All are welcome to stop by and to congratulate the new inductees.

The inductions occur after the spring musical which is set to be Thurs. April 21, Fri. April 22 and Sat. April 23. The tickets will be twelve dollars at the door.

“I’m so excited for this show to come together. Everyone in the cast is so talented and is working so hard. We’d love for everyone to come see the show to support us and see all the incredible talent we have here at Athens!” said Amrani.