Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

AP classes are more rigorous than most high school courses, often being regarded as similar to college level. They require a lot of dedication from students each day to stay on top of the course load.
The struggles of AP exams
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • April 9, 2024

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are probably the most feared classes in high school. After all, they are college-level workloads! But on top...

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
News Copy Editor

Ella Johnson (Right) is a Sophomore at Athens Drive High School. This is her first semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, hanging out with friends, and listening...

Kanye West’s “The Life of Pablo” released on music streaming site Tidal

After several delays, Kanye West released his highly anticipated seventh studio album, “The Life of Pablo,” on music streaming site Tidal and his own website immediately following his Saturday Night Live performance Feb. 13. In true Kanye fashion, the album was debuted during an elaborate fashion show at Madison Square Garden for his “Yeezy Season 3” clothing line.

Originally titled So Help Me God, the album’s name evolved into Swish, Waves and finally “The Life of Pablo.” In the weeks prior to T.L.O.P., the tracklist was altered by West multiple times. The original release date was pushed back to reevaluate the removal of the Chance the Rapper endorsed track “Waves.” Even after the album’s release, West is in the process of altering the track “Wolves” and is considering changing the tracklist all together. All of West’s indecision shines through on T.L.O.P., creating a scattered, turbulent, sloppy and most of all, beautiful listening experience.

This album provides a look into the mind of whom some refer to as a creative genius and others refer to as delusional and arrogant. West’s mind is discombobulated. T.L.O.P. might be seen as a downward shift in the artist’s mental state. In “FML,” West references his use of the antidepressant Lexapro and describes what seems to be a manic episode. He goes on to request the names of any geniuses who were not crazy on the track “Feedback.” T.L.O.P.’s over the top lyrics and sharp instrumental transitions could be better explained if West is indeed slipping towards complete insanity.

T.L.O.P. is sonically adventurous, audacious and features braggadocious lyrics from West himself. However, unlike previous West albums, there seems to lack an overall message or statement. The most prevalent ideas on the album are that of faith, newfound parenthood, lust and West’s perception amongst the public. On the track “I Love Kanye,” West mocks his arrogant nature by rapping “I love you like Kanye loves Kanye.” West is aware of those who see him as narcissistic, yet continues to boast in the face of his critics.

Arguably the most impressive part of T.L.O.P. is the way in which Kanye uses other artists to embellish his music. The album is loaded with samples and features from the likes of The Dream, Kirk Franklin, Chance the Rapper, Kid Cudi, Desiigner, Rihanna, Young Thug, Chris Brown, Ty Dolla $ign, Post Malone and The Weeknd. West even manages to pull Frank Ocean out of hiding for a feature on the non-deluxe version closing song “Wolves.” West manages to place every artist in a position to thrive and display their full talent.

One of the highest points of the album comes on the opening track “Ultra Light Beam.” The song is a powerful ode to West’s faith supplemented by vocals from The Dream, Kelly Price and a gospel choir. However, the track is pushed over the edge when West’s fellow Chicago native, Chance the Rapper, is placed in the spotlight. Chance uses his opportunity to speak out against the perception of violence in Chicago, criticize the requirement for music to be commercialized to earn Grammy nomination and reflect on his rise to stardom and praise God.

Another interesting aspect of the album is speculations over which “Pablo” West is referencing in the album’s title. Possibilities range from Pablo Escobar to a kid named Pablo that shouted “Kanye for president” at the VMAs. The most likely subject however, is Pablo Picasso, whom West referenced at a lecture at Oxford University in 2015. West claimed if he was to do fine art, his goal would be to be Picasso or greater. If this is in fact the case, West and Picasso share many qualities, including finding inspiration in sexual exploits with beautiful women. Picasso settled down with his wife, Jacqueline Roque, much like West has settled down with his wife, Kim Kardashian, after a life filled with many different women.

A reference to Picasso’s final stages of his career such as this could mean we are nearing the end of West’s musical career. This seems to be a possibility with West’s interests in fashion and other industries becoming more publicized. When this day does come, T.L.O.P. will be looked upon with awe by fans and critics alike. Even though “The Life of Pablo” is neither a remake of West’s sound nor revolutionary, it is a beautiful piece of art that provides insight into the mind of a polarizing megalomaniac slipping further into a world of genius and creative insanity that the average individual will be unable to comprehend.