Wake County bus drivers strike for pay raise

Bus Driver’s Pay Strike

Due to an ongoing debate over pay, many Wake County bus drivers called out sick on the afternoon of Friday, Oct. 30, causing many students to be stuck at school with no way home. As a result, some students did not get home until 6:30 p.m.

The drivers called out after a 3% pay raise that the county promised, was not in their paychecks. After the drivers received the pay increase some say it is not enough. Wake County was cutting their hours and, without working for six hours, they could not get benefits.

“It was getting bad. Some of us were losing our homes, our cars, and we just couldn’t support our families,” said Wake County Driver A, who does not want to be named.

Over the summer break, many of the drivers were out of jobs. If the drivers did not work for a year round school, or they could not find another job in place for the three-month summer, they had no source of income.

“We tried to come up with ideas for work. They need people to come in over summer and clean the schools and do maintenance. We offered to do that, but they said no.” said Driver A.

A school maintenance worker makes about $14.43 an hour and the bus drivers start with a base pay of about $12 an hour. They have to sweep their own buses, wash the outside and clean the windows. Some drivers even have to deal with unruly children.

“I think the driver’s and their bosses need to compromise, if not everyone loses. The drivers will quit and not have work, the schools won’t have drivers and the students won’t get to school.” said Vincent Fraraccio, freshman.

The drivers received their 3% increase on December 15, but some are still unhappy with pay. The bonus was meant to be a separate check from the actual pay which was meant to be issued on December 16, but many got it all in the same check. It being all in the same check, more is taken out with the tax and the drivers say it was done purposefully to save money.

“It’s not over. Pay still ain’t where it should be. I’m not saying [the pay strike] is to happen again, but this isn’t over.” said Driver A.