The Polar Express at Athens Drive Highschool

Ekklesia Church and Athens Drive High School presented the showing of “The Polar Express” in the Athens Drive auditorium, Dec. 12, 2015.

Santa and his elves made an appearance at the event. Children could come and take pictures with Santa and tell him what they want for Christmas.  

“It was nice seeing Santa and the elves. My four-year-old, Izabella, was looking forward to it and asked me about it throughout the whole movie,” said Galina Moore, another visitor. Not only that, there were stations set up so kids could color christmas themed coloring sheets.  

This free community event included both free popcorn and refreshments. Not only that, but there were also free hotdogs and chips served before the movie. Doors opened at 4:45 p.m. and the movie started at 5:30 p.m., giving people ample time 45 minutes to eat all the free food. “The popcorn was my favorite, it was delicious and buttery,” said Mick Schulte, a member of Ekklesia Church.

Before the movie began, the Athens Drive Drumline performed “Little Drummer Boy,” to the delight of the many in attendance.  

“I liked the performance a lot, it was ‘Christmassy’ and it stayed with the meaning of Christmas,” said Linda LeFevre Stephens and her mother Hazel LeFevre.  

LeFevre is 93 and blind, but still came to enjoy the Athens Drive Drumline performance and “The Polar Express.” Stephens is actually the mother of the Pastor of Ekklesia.  

“I believe the Polar express was a good movie, but it was a little noisy and I probably would have prefered watching ‘Charlie Brown Christmas’,” said LeFevre. Both Stephens and LeFevre greed that “The Polar Express” had a good message.  

If needed, food and books were being donated during the Polar Express event. Thanks to Athens Drive High School Food Drive there was an abundance of canned foods available, and free books from ADHS teacher/staff book drive. People could come pick up these items at the Athens Drive cafeteria.  

The event ended at 7:30 p.m. with the kids getting pictures with Santa and meeting the elves. Plus, there was leftover popcorn after the movie for people to eat before they left.