Should or Shouldn’t Cigarettes be legal?

Cigarettes have been the cause of over millions of deaths, but have also given the relaxation and stress reducer to many.

Cigarettes are full of toxic substances, but they are still legal. Why is that? Cigarettes are a main way that the U.S. makes their money. Because millions of people smoke, they buy packs of cigarettes. Cigarettes have cost anywhere from 14 dollars in New York to 6 dollars in North Carolina. Their are different types of brands of cigarettes. Which are all ranged at different prices.

Cigarettes contain of finely cut tobacco leaves that are rolled in thin paper for the use of smoking. The cigarette is ignited at the end with the tobacco; its smoke is inhaled from the other end, which comes from the filter.

Early forms of cigarettes were alike to their forerunner, the cigar. Cigarettes seem to have had predecessor in Mexico and Central America. This happened around the 9th century in forms of reeds and smoking tubes. The Maya and Aztecs were some of the first tribes that smoked tobacco often. The cigarette and the cigar were the main ways of smoking in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America until most recent ages.

Nicotine is a toxic and highly addictive substance that is either colorless or yellow. It is an oily liquid that is the main active constituent of tobacco. It acts as a restorative or stimulant in tiny doses, but within larger amounts blocks actions of autonomic nerve and skeletal muscle cells.

“I feel that smoking cigs is a way to calm yourself and relax. When I smoke I get a buzz that makes me forget about all the other stressful things that are going on in my life,” said Junior, Trevor Fitzgerald. A U.S. survey was taken to determine what race and ages smoke more or less. When broken down by race, wWhite people smoke 20 percent, African Americans 18 percent, Hispanics 12 percent, Asian Americans 10 percent, and last Multiracial people 26 percent. There were more cigarette smokers in young age groups than in elder ones. Ages 18-24 have a 17 percent for smoking, ages 25-44 has 21 percent, ages 45-64 has 19 percent, and 65 or older hs  a 9 percent chance.

Nicotine chewing gum is one way to help people stop smoking cigarettes and is used together with a smoking cessation program. The program includes support groups, counseling, and specific behavioral changing techniques. Nicotine gum is shared with a class of medications called smoking cessation aids. It functions by providing nicotine to your body which will decrease withdrawal symptoms experienced. This is knowledgeable when smoking is stopped and oral activity has reduced the urge to smoke.

Nicotine gum is used by chewing the gum with your mouth and should not be swallowed. Follow the directions on your package label carefully, and always ask a doctor before using. Many doctors say nicotine gum should not be chewed by someone who has used it after 12 weeks.

Although nicotine gum is supposed to be consumed to help someone stop smoking. Many people experience symptoms cause from chewing this gum. Such as dizziness, vomiting, weakness, diarrhea, difficulty breathing and much more.

Over 16 million people already have at least one disease from smoking. More than 20 million Americans die because of smoking since the year 1964. Approximately 2.5 million deaths were caused due to exposure to secondhand smoke. About 8.6 million people live with an illness caused by smoking. On average, people that smoke die 13 to 14 years earlier than people who don’t smoke.  

More than 100,000 of the smoking-caused deaths, that have happened, over the last 50 years were babies who died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). SIDS is sometimes known as crib death because an infant will often die in a crib.

Around 400,000 babies are born in the U.S. every year and are exposed to chemicals within cigarette smoke before birth. This can happen if their mothers smoke.

90% percent of people with lung cancer smoked cigarettes. Smokers today are more likely to receive lung cancer than smokers were in 1900’s. Smoking causes lung growth to you to smoke them to get a 10 mintues buzz? What’s the point? Cigarettes really need to be illegal with all the deaths and problems that they cause our world,” said Jarrah.  

to slow down in children and teens. Lung cancer is a leading cause in cancer death with both men and women in the United States. 90% of lung cancer deaths by men and 80% of lung cancer deaths by women acquire from smoking.

Some people believe that smoking is not a bad thing. “I am 63 years old and I have been smoking since I was a mere 13 year old girl. I think of it as if I’m gonna die or get sick it’s going to be me doing something I wanted to. I feel thats its been my choice and if I want to smoke I will. I do think Cigarettes are harmful but so are a million other things in this world,” said retired nurse, Sarah Black.

Others believe smoking is very unsafe and can cause a change in personality. “My dad smokes cigarettes. Over the years he’s been smoking I can see a huge difference in is attitude and looks. I’m worried that if he keeps smoking as much as he does that he will become ill or pass away,” said Junior, Farah Jarrah.

“I smoke about a pack of cigs a day, but I am planning on quitting over the Christmas break as my New Year’s resolution. I don’t like smoking I have just got so addicted onto them I feel that I can’t stop,” said College student, Chase Wiseman.  Nearly 23 percent of high school students use tobacco products. About 75 percent of highschool teens will continue to smoke into their adulthood.

“Cigarettes are killing tons of us every single day. Is it really worth it to you to smoke them to get a 10 mintues buzz? What’s the point? Cigarettes really need to be illegal with all the deaths and problems that they cause our world,” said Jarrah.