South Carolina takes on massive waterflow

In the month of October, South Carolina experienced torrential rain that flooded streets, collapsed dams and displaced many from their homes.

Hurricane Joaquin, which is responsible for the damage the state experienced, made landfall Oct. 5. The majority of that state encountered more than an inch of rainfall.  Over 27 dams were damaged and broken. Additionally, more than 300 roads and bridges were closed down for the protection of citizens.This disaster was nicknamed by many as the 1,000-year rain event. Joaquin flooded full towns and set records around the whole state of South Carolina. Many people had been killed from the floods.

The city of Columbia, S.C,  reported a new 24-hour record rainfall. There was 7.77 inches of water between the hours of 11 a.m. Saturday to 11 a.m. Sunday. This caused a mandatory curfew set Sunday night into Monday morning and the governor declared a state of emergency. Emergency crews had assembled more than 50 swift water rescues across South Carolina. South Carolina was flooded with 11 trillion gallons of water, which was enough to end the California drought.

Many people wanted to help and contribute to rebuild South Carolina. The state’s Emergency Management Division said that the leading way to help would be to donate money to charities that could help the state. Some of these charities include; Feeding America, Salvation Army, United Way of America, United Way of South Carolina, Harvest Hope Food Bank, and many other organizations.

South Carolina was trying to find a way to stop the flooding, but at the same time save and use the water. Their first plan included pumping water from the canal to the reservoir which feeds the water plant. A second idea involved working with the National Guard which would pump water directly from the Broad River.

“The tragedy that happened in South Carolina is not only depressing but frightening. It’s shocking to think that if the Hurricane approached North Carolina as it did South, we could be struggling with the same issues and problems they are,” Junior, Claire Coates, said.

North Carolina did experience heavy amounts of rain. A hurricane alert was sent and became a consider in North Carolina. North Carolina did not experience drastic flooding, but recided rain.

Peyton Brownlee, junior, used to live in South Carolina and was heartbroken to hear about what happened.

“ I have several friends whose homes were damaged pretty bad. My friends have told me about how lucky they feel that it didn’t hit them worse. I don’t think there is anything we can do to protect ourselves from natural disasters besides preparations which were handled,” Brownlee said.