Charlotte Hornets Review

Charlotte Hornets Review

Things may be looking brighter for the Charlotte Hornets this season.  The team is better statistically so far through 21 games than they were last season.  Charlotte currently stands at a record of 13-8, coming off of a win against conference rival, the Miami Heat.

Charlotte plays in the Eastern Conference along with 14 other teams. They currently stand in fifth place in the conference, which is better than what they finished the season with last year at eleventh place. In order to qualify for playoffs, a team has to finish in the top eight.  After making the playoffs the season before last and not making it this past season, the Hornets look primed to go back to the postseason with the help of some key offseason acquisitions they made.  

One of the biggest reasons for their recent success and rise from being one of the worst teams in the league in years past was the drafting of point guard Kemba Walker out of the University of Connecticut in 2012.  He has risen to be one of the top point guards statistically in the league after gaining some experience.  As for this season’s draft this past June, they selected Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky with the ninth overall pick, who was fresh off a loss in the national championship in his senior season.  Also, in June, they traded guard Gerald Henderson and power forward Noah Vonleh to the Portland Trail Blazers for small forward Nicolas Batum, who has been one of the team’s leading scorers this season.  The team also signed free agent guard Jeremy Lin, who previously played for the Los Angeles Lakers.  

Kemba Walker has been carrying the offense so far this season.  He leads the team in points per game (PPG) with 18.4, as well as assists per game (APG) with 5.  His defensive presence is also felt, with 1.8 steals per game, which also leads the team.  Starting center Marvin Williams leads the team with 7 rebounds per game as well as 1.2 blocks per game.  Nicolas Batum’s offensive presence is also felt; he leads the eastern conference in 3 pointers.

“I like the way they’re playing so far.  They’re really coming together as a team.  It’s exciting,” said Harrison Engle, senior.

If the Hornets continue to improve as a team and utilize their new acquisitions to the best of their ability, they may have a shot to compete in the playoffs this season.