Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Brady Jones
Brady Jones
Assistant News Editor

Brady Jones is a Senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester with the Athens Oracle. After school, he is an involved member of the Athens Drive theatre department, handling the technical components...

Danazia McLean, also known as Nae, is a senior at Athens Drive High School and a member of the Idea Hunters of Athens Oracle. In her free time, she enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with her friend...

Parents refuse to drop off students in correct carpool lane

The junior lot is no longer a carpool lane. This message was dispatched to all families of Athens Drive students at the start of the school year.

The carpool lane has been moved to the band entrance making cars drive a whole 20 feet further. This was explained in the message that many parents put straight to voicemail.

The message was sent in mid-September, but  every morning I am still late to class because the line is slower than the highway during rush hour. As soon as Athens Drive becomes backed up, students know that they are going to be late to class because they are stuck behind the ten cars of parents who either did not get the message or just chose to not listen to it.

The very first day of school, it was so easy coming into the junior lot, as obedient parents followed the rules and moved their travels to the band entrance. It was so nice to be able to arrive at 7:16 a.m. and be parked and in my classroom with time to spare.

But, of course, there were still parents who did not listen or did not care and soon the rebellion turned into a big game of follow the leader. Once cars saw that some parents were still going through the junior lot, others gave up on the new solution and went back to being part of the problem.

Hundreds of students park in the junior lot, including juniors and seniors. Add all of those students to the number of people who come in to stop for a minute, and then continue moving at the pace of a sloth, and the numbers are insane.

The struggle to get into the parking spaces puts additional stress on students on top of the stress they already have from school work and tests. Tardy sweeps can also be added into the equation when you have been swept three times because of reasons a student cannot control or predict.  

As if the long line was not enough to make students regret spending money on a parking spot, but the impatience of the parents when students are trying to cross does not help the situation. Every morning when walking into the school I am almost hit by a car because it is 7:24 a.m. and I am not going to stop for a parent whose child has to be dropped off at the door. It is basic driving rules: pedestrians have the right-of-way. But go ahead and hit me, have fun paying my medical bill.

A simple solution to this problem would be to just come to school earlier. However, I do not want to change my ways because parents refuse to change theirs. Therefore, an even simpler solution is for parents to listen to the directions and drop off their kids in the new carpool lane.