Hyphy and Step Team combine

Hyphy and Step Team combine practice schedules as they prepare for the Athens Drive 2015-2016 basketball season, which begins Nov. 18 and ends Feb. 12. Hyphy and Step Team perform during halftime each game.

“We perform at women’s varsity basketball games and JV games but the biggest performance for us is definitely the Pep Rally,” said Sydney Vaught, junior.

Step Team is defined as a group movement by clapping, stomping, and noise made by the body to a beat. Stepping is a percussive dance through rhythm and spoken word.

“Stepping is not just about stomping and clapping. It takes dedication and skill, you feel it within. My mom was on the Step Team which motivated me to follow in her footsteps and make her proud,” said Armani Walker, junior.

The tradition of stepping originated in South Africa and began competitively by African American sororities and fraternities in the mid 1900s. Many of the songs have been passed down, chanting a song that is specific to the organization or school they are stepping for.

“Step is is made up of hand and leg movements, while Hyphy uses their whole body to represent their dance,” said Walker.

Hyphy was created by Oakland rapper Keak Da Sneak when he used the term in an album in 1994. This aspect of Urban culture expanded through the hip hop industry in the early 1990s to 2000s. Hyphy’s concept is to ignore society’s negative outlook of “uncivilized” behavior.

“I would love for Hyphy and Step team to come together in a performance as we would be able to show the differences between these two dances,” said Walker.

Hyphy and Step team practice three times a week after school and four times a week when there is a performance, praying before each rendition. Hyphy and Step Team will have their first appearance during halftime at the first basketball game of the season Nov. 12 a home game vs. Heritage.

“We are like a family and we will continue influencing each other to excel in our talents,” said Vaught.