Athens Drive track team sends runners to compete in Regionals

The Southwest Wake Athletic Conference (SWAC) Championships indicates the end of the 2015 outdoor track and field season for most of the Athens team.  Although the Jaguars came in seventh place, the team was proud to send Kelli Davison, Meredith Williams, Maddie Haneline, Xzavier McNeil,  the 4×100 women’s relay team and the 4×100 men’s relay team to Regionals Saturday May 2. The sprint medley relay team is heading to Nationals June 19.

In Regionals McNeil placed second in the long jump, allowing him to qualify for states as a sophomore.  Davison placed eighth in the triple jump and Nia Judkins placed ninth in the 100m.

“I’m proud of Xzavier for qualifying for states, especially since he is only a sophomore. He beat his own personal record about three times this season. I feel that next year he may even be able to place in states,” said Jeffrey Liles, head track coach.

Even though only a few athletes made it to Regionals, other runners performed well during the regular season. Katie Songey, junior, ran a 6:13 mile, cutting off 13 seconds from her previous mile time. Luc Spalding and Morgan Cheek, both seniors, each achieved a personal record in the Apex relays meet. Spalding ran a 2:12 in the boy’s 800 leg (part of a relay), and Cheek ran a 1:03 in the girl’s 400 leg.

Besides athletes enjoying the competitive aspect of track, others choose to participate in it to stay in shape.

While a gym membership can get expensive, high school track is a free workout opportunity for high schoolers that allows them to stay fit and represent their school and community as well.

“I started doing track just to stay in shape. But then after a while, I got asked to do hurdles. I tried them and it was really fun,” said Chris Rain, senior.

Track includes many sprinting events such as the open 100m, 200m, 400m and 1600m along with relays. Athletes also can participate in long-distance events, such as the mile and the two mile.

Sprinting develops quick-twitch fibers in an athlete’s body. This can be compared to lifting weights because the more an individual does it, and the more they practice, the stronger they will become.

Distance running has different advantages than sprinting does. It helps to increase bone density and better heart health.

“I participate in the mile and two mile because it allows me to stay in shape and I am motivated to improve constantly,” said Lewis Winfield, junior. “It instills a value of pushing through obstacles and supporting others on your team to do their best.”