JV women’s lacrosse team celebrates undefeated season

The junior varsity (JV) women’s lacrosse team has had a very eventful season this year. They have successfully had an undefeated season with a 5-0-2 record.  Many teams in the past have come close to this goal but this year’s JV team has done it.

Many students at Athens Drive believe that the JV teams at Athens are not as important as the varsity teams.

“No offense to any JV teams at Athens, but in my opinion varsity teams are a little more important,” said Patrick Gurganus, sophomore.

This season’s JV team might make students think differently because they went undefeated.

“I wouldn’t have thought at the beginning of the season that our team would’ve gone undefeated, but I guess the scoreboards don’t lie,” said Molly Vaziri, sophomore JV lacrosse player.

The scoreboards in fact did not lie; all of the games that resulted in victory for the Lady Jaguars were won by a comfortable margin. Against schools like Panther Creek, the women won by four points, and against Middle Creek they won by six points. This year’s team was truly a winning team.

“I’m the kind of person that loves to win and that’s all we did this year. Hopefully next year on varsity we’ll be able to bring the same winning streak,” said Cami Gronbach, sophomore on the JV women’s lacrosse team.

Most of the current players on the JV team are sophomores who hope to have a good shot at making varsity next season. Most of the team will be the same, giving them the competitive edge to get another undefeated streak next year.

Many of the players owe their undefeated season to their coach. Emily Smith has been coaching JV women’s lacrosse at Athens for two years. Many of the players on the team feel that without her, this season might not have gone the way it went.

“For sure I love Coach Smith, she’s great. She was a really good coach this season and helped us get better at the sport,” said Vaziri. “She really knows the sport and taught us some really good tips this year.”

Overall, the 2015 JV women’s lacrosse team has had a very successful season and hopefully next year they will bring the same force.