Athens Drive Foreign Exchange Students Share Conclusions about their International Travels

A closer look at the experiences of Study Abroad students

Name: Rachele Franci

Age/Grade: 17 years old/11th grade

Home Country: Legnano, Italy (northern Italy, near Milan)

Why did you choose to come to America?

I chose to come to America and become an exchange student two years ago. I wanted to learn a different culture, learn better english and grow up.

What is the biggest difference in American society and social life compared to your home country?

As soon as I got here, I noticed how people were so friendly and nice. Everybody keeps telling me that Italians are famous for being really loud and friendly, but I don’t know why. Somehow Americans are more friendly. I see it at the grocery store when a cashier asks me how was my day or at the bus stop where other kids ask me if I have something planned for the weekend. Italians are loud and really friendly, too, but these things never happened to me.

What is the funniest/strangest question someone has asked you?

Somebody in my biology class during first semester asked me if we have trees and animals in Italy.

What about your country do you think would surprise Americans the most?

Linguine Alfredo does not exist. Italian Cheesecake does not exist. Pineapple does not go on pizza! And of course Italy is not all about pasta and pizza.

If you could tell Americans one thing about your culture, what would it be?

Art is really important in Italian culture. It makes us famous all over the world and art, as well as poetry, makes us feel proud of what we are capable of. We have the same “national spirit” that America has!

How has being an exchange student changed your outlook on life?

Being an exchange student made me a more outgoing person. I used to be shy and now I know that if I really want to live this experience, I have to entertain and meet new people.

Name: Céline Jordan

Age/Grade: 17 years old/11th grade

Home Country: Sion, Switzerland (South West Switzerland where French is the most common language)

Why did you choose to come to America?

I really wanted to learn English, and America is a dream place to spend a year.

What is the biggest difference in school in America compared to your home country?

I would say sports, because in my country the schools don’t have any sports teams, so you have to join a club apart from your school if you want to play.

What is the biggest difference in American society/social life compared to your home country?

Americans are more friendly and welcoming to strangers; Swiss people would be more formal with people they don’t know.

What do you find to be the most different in America?

We never have snow days off.

What is the strangest/funniest experience you have had since you have been in America?

Going from really bad and cold weather to warm and sunny beaches in just one car ride and a couple of stops.

Can you try to speak with an American accent?

People think that Switzerland is like the North Pole, but it’s not really any colder than North Carolina.

What have you learned as a foreign exchange student?

I’ve learned to be more independent, and more self assured.

Will it change how you act when you go home?

Yes, I will appreciate more of what I have.

Name: Mariya Kolisnichenko

Age/Grade: 16 years old/ 11th grade

Home Country: Lugansk, Ukraine

You can choose courses to study. Also, every day you have the same classes while in Ukraine we have different ones every day. We also have a lot more homework in Ukraine.

What do you find to be the most interesting (like the most) in America?

The food is awesome. The big cities are also awesome, they look like the movies.

We are not communists anymore.

People are very different. They are not as friendly to strangers, but very open and sincere to friends. The society in general is more closed and not as talkative back home.

What would you recommend Americans change/think about culturally?

Be more aware of the problems around the world.

I do not believe in stereotypes. There are stereotypes that everything is perfect here. Also, the stereotypes about American High School: that all you do here is care about football, cheerleading and partying–nothing else.

Name: Steven Gong (Giseon Gong)

Age/Grade:17 years old/ 11th grade

Home Country: Wonju, South Korea (Gyeonggi mountains)

What is the biggest difference you have noticed about America in comparison to your home country?

I think the biggest difference in America is larger territory because we have a small territory.

Korean education systems are focused on going to the best university in the world or in Korea, so it is very competitive. But we also like to go karaoke (singing room) or to the pc room (they have lots of computers for playing game) and we play games or sing.

I think that the high school students can drive and they do not go to the army. In Korea, we have to go into the army because we are still during the Korean war. Also, we cannot drive after 8 p.m.

The most interesting thing in America is that students are not studying much. Before I came here, I thought they studied as hard as Koreans do. But they do not study that much.

The funniest question someone asked me is “Are you from North Korea?” because North Koreans aren’t available to go other country.

I think that we don’t have self study time during school. Also, in Korea, most Korean high school students are going to school at 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. and then they go to extra academy for study.

I think they need to be more respectful to foreign students because sometimes they ask very uncomfortable questions.

I learned what I am good at (math and science) and what I am bad at (reading and history). Also, who am I. I realize that I am a very shy person because I had a hard time becoming close with my friends