Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Mrs. Hornick is the adviser for The Athens Oracle, a position she has been lucky to hold for over 15 years! She loves watching her students grow as writers and some of her favorite parts of the class are...

Zane Perryman

Zane is a senior in Newspaper 3 and is an assistant editor. He likes music and taking pictures and writing stories about things he enjoys.

Athens Drive’s New Stadium

Athens Drive High School has been the topic for discussion for quite some time because of talks of a new football stadium. A new stadium means more people coming to see the games, less travelling distances to and from the school and increased safety for players and fans.

Currently, Athens Drive is home to Williams Stadium, which was originally constructed 1978 when the school was first built. Nearly 40 years have passed, and no major renovations have taken place. The current parking lot for the stadium is a gravel patch without any proper parking spots. The outsides of the stadium look fine but on the inside the pipes are getting too old.

The location of the new stadium will be just behind the school beside the senior parking lot, which is much closer than the current half mile distance from the school. Since there is no locker room near the current stadium, student athletes must carry their sports equipment from the locker rooms in the school all the way to the field and back before and after each game.

“I hate having to lug all of my lacrosse equipment everywhere because I get tired before the game even starts,” said Jason Rash, a junior lacrosse player.

When asked about the football stadium, Jack Rogers, another junior lacrosse player, expressed his discontent.

“Some of the bleachers at the stadium are rusty and don’t look very safe to sit on,” said Rogers.

A main part about the football games at Athens are the tailgates that take place before. An issue with tailgating at Athens is the location. Currently, for those who like to tailgate, the only place anyone can tailgate is on the gravel parking lot just in front of the stadium. With this new stadium there will be a designated parking lot with real parking spots so people can enjoy tailgating with their friends in a more organized fashion.

When asked about tailgating, Rogers said, “Tailgating is about three things: good food, good friends and great times.”

Many officials in Wake County, however, believe that building this new stadium is not such a great idea and would rather purchase new seats for students in their classrooms or other supplies that the school does not have.

When asked by WRAL, Paul Coble, Wake Counties Commission Chair,  asked,  “Which is more important, a new stadium or new seats?”  This has also been a question of many students at Athens.

Making plans to build a new stadium is a crucial part of the operation. But actually building it is just as important. The current plans for starting the construction of the new stadium are set for the end of March 2015.

“I’m really excited for the new stadium, but I’m ready for the building process to begin,” said Karlee Evancho, junior.

When asked about his thoughts on the new football stadium, Coach Christopher Martin said, “I’m excited about the new stadium because it’s something new and close to the school, but they could have just fixed up the old one instead of making a whole new one.”

The new stadium is expected to be done sometime next year, so the current seniors will not be able to play on it but all athletic juniors and underclassmen will be able to play on it.