Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Farah Al-Rbehat
Farah Al-Rbehat

Farah Al-Rbehat is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year as an Assistant Editor on the Athens Oracle. She enjoys reading, spending time with the people she loves, and participates in many...

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Microsoft develops new holographic product

Microsoft has recently developed a new prototype product called HoloLens, a headset with glasses that uses innovative holographic technology to combine the digital world with the real world. Holograms are 3-D virtual objects that the user can interact with. HoloLens can be used to complete tasks, solve problems and even play games, such as Minecraft.

HoloLens can only be used indoors and has a camera that tracks the location of objects in a room so it knows where to display the virtual objects. They can be displayed on objects such as tables and walls. HoloLens offers high definition holograms and in addition, sound features.

“I am curious to see how HoloLens turns out because it has never been done before and it seems really cool. I think the new holographic technology will be a revolution in modern technology and more products will come out that are similar to this,” said Bryce Rooney, sophomore.

The product tracks user movement so the user can move around the room and see the holograms from different angles. They can also interact with the holograms by using hand gestures, instead of actually touching a surface like users do on an  iPad screen.

With the use of video chatting applications such as Skype, other people can tap into the user’s camera and can draw diagrams to help the user complete tasks, such as rewiring a computer. HoloLens has been compared to Google Glass and Facebook’s Oculus Rift, both of which are headsets that use advanced technology that the user can operate with hand gestures.

“This sounds like a really good idea, but I feel like it will turn out as a disappointment just like Google Glass. I think that they make it look really good on advertisements to attract people to a new type of product, but it will not be that amazing. I do not think it is possible to make holograms,” said Cody Nance, sophomore.

Google Glass displays a screen on the glasses while HoloLens displays holograms around a room on objects and walls. The Oculus Rift is used for video games by blinding the user from the real world and bringing them into the virtual world. HoloLens differs from this concept because the user can still see and move around the room even with holograms.

Microsoft could release HoloLens as soon as this year and it is set to be released around the same time Windows 10 is released. Microsoft has exceeded their expectations by figuring out a way to connect the digital world with the real world. With the use of holographic technology, the world can take a large step into a futuristic lifestyle.

“Microsoft has put a lot into the chips and the software, but it’s still just the start of virtual reality. One of the main issues with virtual reality is making sure users don’t get dizzy or nauseous, so it will take a few years of software applications being built to realize the full promise of this,” said Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft, during a Q&A on Reddit.