Penny Wars raises money for “We Build People” campaign

Athens Drive High School’s homecoming week is a time for students and staff to show their school spirit and express creativity through floats and outfits that correspond with that days’ theme. Athens is adding a new aspect to homecoming week: Penny Wars. This is a new way to support a cause and also represent one’s grade.

Penny Wars is a competition between grades to fundraise for a specific charity. Each class will have a jug that represents their grade. Throughout homecoming week, Oct. 6-10, students will be asked to bring in money to put in their class jugs.Each penny will count as one point and any other amount of money will be counted as negative points for the amount of pennies they are worth. For example, a nickel in the Freshmen jug will be negative 5 points for their grade. The idea is to put pennies in the jug of the grade a person is supporting and all other amounts of money in the other class jars. At the end of homecoming week, the class that raises the most money will be announced as the winner.

“I know that Penny Wars will get very competitive between the students and it will help raise a lot of money for the We Build People Campaign. This is an easy way to donate and it really adds up,” said Student Body President Kieran Garvey, senior.

All of the money raised is going to the We Build People Campaign, started by the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). This campaign raises money for the YMCA youth programs for underprivileged kids to go to daycare or summer camp instead of staying home alone.

“One hundred percent of the proceeds are going towards the campaign, and I am very excited that all of Athens is going to support an organization that I am so passionate about,” said Garvey.

Garvey is one of the head ambassadors for the foundation. The campaign to raise money for the foundation occurs every October and she has been an active participant for the past year.

Many schools around the Triangle also support charities through creative ways, much like Penny Wars. In 2013, Enloe High School raised $63,000 through their annual Charity Ball. This past year, the proceeds went to Safe Child, an organization that helps kids recover from abusive situations. Their goal for the upcoming year is to raise $75,000 for the Interfaith Food Shuttle. Wakefield High School will be holding a 5K race this spring to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes foundation.

The grade jugs will be located in gym lobby for everyone to donate and to help make an impact in our community.

“Students should starting saving their change now in order to raise money for this great cause!” said Garvey.